While Twitter is abuzz with jokes on the matter, alumni of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) have hit back at environment minister Jairam Ramesh for his recent remarks that IITs and IIMs lack world class faculty.
Arvind Kejriwal, a Right to Information (RTI) activist and product of IIT Kharagpur, says, “I don’t agree with Ramesh’s remarks. The faculty is fairly good.” Author Chetan Bhagat, who studied both at IIT and IIM, tweeted on Tuesday, “Before Jairam Ramesh talks about IIT-IIM faculty being world-class, he should comment if our politicians are world-class.”
“Jairam Ramesh has shown tremendous ignorance about the intellectual capabilities of these institutions. I would not deny that they need to do much more, but to say that the faculty is not making any contribution is wrong. In that case, companies should just hire students on the basis of their CAT scores,” says Anil Gupta, a professor at IIM-Ahmedabad.
Some students are calling Ramesh’s remark an insult to their teachers. “This is demeaning to some of the brilliant faculty I saw during my days at IIT Delhi and IIM Bangalore,” says 25-year-old Abhinav Sharma.
However, not everyone thinks Ramesh is off the mark. Pankaj Chaddah, 25, an ex-IITian, says, “I don’t disagree with his remarks; there is dire need for reforms.” “There is a lot of reality in Ramesh’s statement. I can say that with certainty, having seen both (IIT and IIM),” tweeted Anindya Dutt.
IIIT, IIM and Jairam Ramesh were trending on Twitter throughout Tuesday and Wednesday. Here are some of the jokes doing the rounds...
* Some IIT prof must have made Jairam Ramesh stand up on the bench
* Jairam Ramesh should also talk about Tihar. Same problems. The facilities and jailors are not world-class. But the inmates sure are
* Maybe it’s because IIT refused to do research on Jairam Ramesh’s hair
* Jairam Ramesh learned politics in IIT, that’s why he is cribbing about the faculty
* What does IIT/IIM have to do with the Ministry of Environment & Forests?
With inputs from PTI