Jackie Shroff can’t recall when he did the thing that’s currently amusing the whole of Indian cyberspace. A 14-year-old behind-the-scenes video of him rolling out a string of expletives while shooting a public service film for pulse polio, went viral on Tuesday. In the video, he is seen struggling with the Hindi script and abusing at intervals to get over his mistakes. "I don’t remember what was happening. It was so long ago. I think it was 2009," says the actor. Remind him that the video introduces it as a 1998 incident, and he says, "Haan must be 98 then. I just remember it was very long ago."
Whatever the year it happened, he is happy to amuse. "I am always amused when people get a good laugh out of me. It’s good that they are enjoying," he says.
"Logo ke pass koi kaam dhanda nahi hai," he laughs. "Maine ab thodi dekha hai. Maine teen saal pehle dekha tha," he says, adding that he has no clue how it suddenly got 2,00,000 hits on YouTube.
One of the abuses —a Marathi one, ‘mauschi chi g***d’, which Shroff uses in the video, trended for hours on Twitter.
Jackie is not apologetic. "Everyone has a phrase that they use when they are angry. Sabka ek expression hota hai na? Like Some say ‘hadd teri ki’, I say ‘mauschi chi’!" laughs the 51-year-old, who is currently shooting in Pushkar.
To fans who are disappointed with his act, he says, "Gaaliyaan kya hoti hain sabko pata hota hai na. So I’m also disappointed that they know abuses!"
The joke’s on Jackie
* I think Jackie Shroff swears more convincingly than he acts: @OatAct
* I’ve heard mother gaalis, sister gaalis & mother-sister gaalis. But Jackie Shroff is the 1st to put a mother’s sister gaali: @abdulpoonawala
* Jackie Shroff has done in 1 day what Balasaheb Thackeray has been trying to do for 30 years. Made marathi popular: @rohit_nakhwa
* So now i finally understood why Polio got almost eradicated from India thanks to Jackie Shroff: @sunnydhanoe
* Virat Kohli should learn from Jackie Shroff: @Bedardi_Raja
* That’s what you call a comeback!
Not the only one
‘I want Fakht you’, a song from upcoming film Joker, was leaked online on Tuesday. The filmmakers say that the lyrics were changed long ago. “Fakht means ‘only’ in Marathi ... this is the old version, some mischief-maker has leaked it.” A song titled ‘Mooh Main Le’ from Jeena Hai Toh Thok Daal has also drawn flak from Shiv Sena.