Maharashtra govt to probe AIB comedy show after plaints over obscenity

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Feb 03, 2015 13:22 IST

The Maharashtra government ordered a probe into a comedy show organised by AIB (All India Bak****) after Mumbai police received multiple complaints against the show that went viral on the internet last week for using obscene language and content.

Maharashtra cultural minister Vinod Tawde said the government had decided to investigate into the AIB event that took place at the Vallabhai Patel stadium last month. The probe will look at whether the show was obscene and had vulgarity. “We will register an FIR against them as they appear to have performed without any performance license. Such vulgarity is a crime and based on facts which will emerge, the government will file a case against them,” he said.

The three-part series uploaded on YouTube went viral since it was released.

Actors Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh were roasted by a panel constituting Karan Johar, Rajeev Masand, Raghu Ram and the entire AIB team last month while about 4,000 people watched. The show was held for charity.

The Brahman Ekta Seva Santha gave an application to the Sakinaka police demanding a case to be registered against the organisers and participants of the show. “Our demand is for an FIR against the organisers, directors, producers and actors for obscenity,” said Akhilesh Tiwari, president of Brahman Ekta Seva Santha. “The youth gets inspired by the actors and usage of such filthy language is shocking. This is an attack on the Indian culture.”

Late on Monday, five Christian organisations also approached the Tardeo police against the AIB show, alleging it insulted Jesus Christ and painted Catholic priests as molesters. The statements of advocate Joseph Sodder, along with representatives of Christian Reform United People Association, United Christians of Mumbai, United Christian Forum, Cross Bandra and Maharashtra Christian Youth Forum, were recorded. An FIR is expected to be filed on Tuesday.

Reacting to the developments, AIB put up a post on a micro-blogging site. “News sources have informed us that AIB knockout will be subject to some manner of official enquiry. At this time, we have no further details but when we do, we’ll keep you in the loop.”

also read

AIB Knockout: The award for the best jokes goes to Karan Johar
Show comments