'Salman drove at 100 kmph despite driver’s warning'
Sessions court on Monday upheld the order of the Bandra metropolitan magistrate court invoking the charge of culpable homicide against Salman Khan in the 2002 hit-and-run case in which a pavement-dweller was killed and four others injured. HT reports.entertainment Updated: Jun 25, 2013 13:50 IST
Sessions judge UB Hejib on Monday upheld the order of the Bandra metropolitan magistrate court invoking the charge of culpable homicide against Bollywood actor Salman Khan in the 2002 hit-and-run case in which a pavement-dweller was killed and four others injured.
As per the prosecution’s case, they were sleeping on a pavement in Bandra when Khan allegedly rammed his Toyota Land Cruiser into a bakery on the night of September 28.
The magistrate court at Bandra had, on December 31 last year, ordered to charge the actor for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, along with the other charges.
Under this section, the court may award Khan punishment up to 10 years of imprisonment if proven guilty.
The actor had moved the sessions court against the order contending it was passed in a hurry and the magistrate did not consider the cross-examination of the prosecution witnesses.
In a detailed order, the sessions court on Monday rejected the actor’s contentions, observing that he was warned by his bodyguard to drive slow as he was drunk. Yet, he drove at 100 kmph, which resulted in the mishap, the court said.
The sessions judge upheld the magistrate court’s observation that the actor had requisite knowledge about his actions, and said if the court is satisfied and the evidence is well-founded and trustworthy, the court need not get into multiple corroborations.
Rejecting the revision application, the court observed, “I find it unable to subscribe to the argument of the defence that the magistrate court has come to the wrong conclusion as it has not permitted the accused to lead the evidence of defence witnesses.”
The court has asked the actor to appear before it within a month.
The case is adjourned to July 19, when the trial may begin.