Bollywood badshah Shah Rukh Khan tends to attract controversies from all sides. King Khan has become one of the most controversial actors in B-Town owing to either his celebrity status, religion or behaviour.
As we await response from actor Shah Rukh Khan on recent allegations of foetal sex determination of his reported surrogate child, here are some of the major controversies that the King Khan has encountered in his public life.
1. SRK went for foetal sex determination? After reports of Shah Rukh Khan, Gauri Khan going for a third baby surrogacy, speculations that the celeb-couple went for sex determination test were rife. On Tuesday (June 18), Maharashtra government ordered probe into the allegations.
2. Hafiz Saeed invited SRK to Pak In an interview to Outlook Turning Points, Shah Rukh Khan said, "I sometimes become the inadvertent object of political leaders who choose to make me a symbol of all that they think is wrong and unpatriotic about Muslims in India... I have been accused of bearing allegiance to our neighbouring nation rather than my own country..."
Reacting to his statements, Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed has asked Shah Rukh Khan to move to Pakistan if he feels ‘insecure’ in India, and assured that the Bollywood actor will "enjoy all the freedom that he wants in this country."
3. Shiv Sena threatened to stall release of My Name is Khan SRK faced the ire of Shiv Sena after he stated that he would like Pakistani cricketers to participate in the third season of Indian Premiere League. The political party even threatened to stall the release of his film My Name Is Khan. Shah Rukh Khan reacted on Twitter saying: "Sad my statements are seen as a stand against a group instead of a stand for myself and my individuality. Differences in ideology should be grounds for debates & discussion. A must for freedom of thought. To see it any other way is so unfortunate."
4. SRK banned from entering Wankhede Stadium The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) officials have lodged a police complaint against Kolkata Knight Riders' co-owner Shah Rukh Khan for his alleged misbehaviour at the Wankhede Stadium. They have even decided to ban him for life from entering the premises.
"He misbehaved and abused the MCA security personnel as well as MCA officials, including our president Vilasrao Deshmukh, after the IPL match," said MCA secretary Nitin Dalal.
5. SRK-Salman Khan There was an time when Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan called each other brothers. But now the rivalry between the two is out in the open. While Salman says "SRK and I can never be friends," SRK thinks "Salman and I don't talk which is absolutely right." So what went wrong? Things apparently got ugly at Katrina Kaif's birthday bash in 2008. It is believed that SRK made inappropriate comments about Salman's ex-flame Aishwarya Rai Bachchan which annoyed him.
King Khan in an interview had said that Salman got angry because he turned down a cameo in Main Aur Mrs Khanna (while Salman agreed to do a guest appearance in Om Shanti Om). Salman in turn said he never offered him the film, adding, "Shah Rukh was like my brother. He used to call me sir, sir during his struggling days." In 2011, on Koffee With Karan, SRK publicly apologised to the actor saying: "If Salman is angry with me, it is 100% my fault." However, Salman retorted saying SRK's apology was for TRPs.
At Mukesh Ambani's bash in Sachin Tendulkar's honour, Salman took a dig at SRK saying: "Sachin ka record todna mushkil hi nahi namumkin hai. Aur yeh Don nahi main bol raha hu." King Khan reacted saying: "I get numb by the kind of stories I keep hearing about myself. I try not to take them seriously or comment about them."
6. SRK-Priyanka Chopra Family man Shah Rukh Khan has found himself in a link-up controversy for the first time in his career. While SRK is maintaining a dignified silence over the issue, PC isn't taking it too well.
At a camera launch event, when a reporter asked her about her alleged link-up with SRK, the Fashion star lost it and said with a straight face: "By being extremely loud, doesn't mean I'll answer your questions sir. Thank You." At the first look launch of her upcoming film Teri Meri Kahani opposite Shahid Kapoor, Priyanka denied SRK was the man who made her blush. "I never said anything of that sort," she retorted. However, she had admitted it on Karan Johar's talk show Koffee with Karan. Shahid and the filmmaker had even teased her with SRK's name.
She is reportedly not on good terms with his wife Gauri Khan and his pal Karan Johar because of these rumours.
7. Shah Rukh Khan-Big B, Amar Singh Shah Rukh Khan allegedly supported the event organisers when Amar Singh objected to the fact that front row seats were not alloted to him or his close friend Amitabh Bachchan at an awards function in 2007.
8. SRK-Gauri Khan The fact that Gauri Khan is missing from the IPL action is creating a strong buzz about a trouble in paradise. Although SRK's team Kolkata Knigh Riders is performing well this season, Gauri isn't there by her hubby's side to cheer and support the team.
The Don star was recently spotted with his sister Shenaz and his children Aryan and Suhana at a nightspot in Mumbai sans Gauri Khan.
Is SRK's link-up with PC the reason? Who knows!
9. SRK-Aamir Khan During a promotional event of his TV debut Satyamev Jayate, Aamir Khan praised his colleagues who made it big on TV like Amitabh Bachchan (Kaun Banega Crorepati), Hrithik Roshan (Just Dance) and Salman Khan (Dus Ka Dum). He simply forgot to mention SRK, who has hosted shows like KBC, Zor Ka Jhatka and Kya Aap Panchvi Paas Se Tez Hain. When asked about SRK, he ignored the question.
Aamir Khan had also reacted to SRK's detention saying: "I have never faced such problem."
Aamir had earlier posted on his blog that a dog called Shah Rukh was licking his legs: "Shah Rukh is licking my feet and I am feeding him biscuits every now and then. What more can I ask for? Now, before you jump to any conclusions let me add that Shah Rukh is the name of our dog. And before you jump to any further conclusions let me add that I had nothing to do with naming him. In fact Shah Rukh is the dog of the caretakers of our house."
Incidentally Aamir is quite close to Salman!
10. SRK-Shirish Kunder The RA.One actor allegedly assaulted Farah Khan's husband and filmmaker Shirish Kunder at Sanjay Dutt's Agneepath bash. Farah Khan also SMSed reporters saying: "Shahrukh has always told me that physical abuse is the worst way 2 sort out a problem, n that its means the person who's hitting has either a personal or professional crisis going on, n it saddens me 2 see him doing the same (sic)."
However, the truce happened after Shirish and Farah, along with latter's brother Sajid Khan and their common friend Sajid Nadiadwala, went to SRK's home, Mannat.
11. RK-Abhijeet Bhattacharya Another addition to SRK's enemy list is Abhijeet Bhattacharya. The singer recently blasted SRK in an interview saying the actor should apologise to him for not giving him due credit in Main Hoon Na and Om Shanti Om.
When asked by a tabloid to comment on what Abhijeet said, SRK quipped: "Isn't it a coincidence that whoever doesn't want to work with me becomes famous?"
12. SRK-Airport: Part 1 In August 2009, SRK was detained at the Newark Airport in New Jersey for nearly two hours because of his last name.
The actor was visiting the country to attend a South Asian event where he was the guest of honour and was released after Congress MP Rajiv Shukla spoke to the authorities in the US.
13. SRK-Airport: Part 2 King Khan was detained again in April at a New York airport by immigration officials after arriving from India in a private plane with Nita Ambani, to address students at Yale University. While Nita, wife of Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani, and the rest of their group were cleared immediately, Khan was stopped and was given immigration clearance only after about two hours.
He laughed it off with a generous dose of sarcasm. "Whenever I start feeling too arrogant, I always take a trip to America. The immigration guys kicked the star out of stardom," Khan said, addressing the students at the Yale University where he was honoured as a Chubb Fellow.
14. Sunil Gavaskar-SRK Sunil Gavaskar and Kolkata Knight Riders' owner Shah Rukh Khan had a dirty war of words in 2009. In his column for the Hindustan Times, Gavaskar termed John Buchanan (coach of KKR) a "failed former cricketer making a living telling international players to do what he couldn't do".
15. Smoking SRK Shahrukh Khan has been spotted smoking in public several times. When he was caught smoking in Sawai Maan Singh Stadium in Jaipur, a complaint was filed against him. (Image: Shah Rukh Khan spotted smoking openly at Star Screen Awards 2011.)