Vivek Oberoi and wife Priyanka were in the Capital recently. The newly-weds had settled into Lalit, a five-star hotel, and were out shopping on Sunday evening when a fire broke out in the hotel. "Suddenly, I got a call from my manager, Raj, informing me that the hotel was on fire. I was shocked!" recalls Oberoi.
The fire had reportedly broken out on the hotel’s rooftop. It was in the wing opposite the actor’s room but the flames were clearly visible from his window. It started at around 5.45 pm, and the fire brigade was called pronto. The firemen were able to douse the fire by 6.25 pm.
The Oberois returned to their temporary abode afraid of what they’d see. But to their relief, all their stuff was intact and no casualties were reported. Even so, Oberoi admits that they had a lucky escape.
It was a far from memorable visit for the 34-year-old Prince from Bollywood. He had flown down to flag off a house-building charity event at Bawana village on the city’s outskirts. But when hundreds of star-struck fans thronged the community centre for a glimpse of his, Oberoi, who was supposed to lay bricks for the foundation, was locked away inside a room.
His car was just 50 feet from him but with people hanging from windows, blocking gates, lining the walls and crowding rooftops, he had to wait till the cops were called to disperse the mob.