Actor Shah Rukh Khan celebrated his team’s victory in the IPL 5 championship with a graceful act — he apologised for misbehaving at Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium during a brawl last week. While fans wholeheartedly applaud the gesture, the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) which banned the actor for five years, refuses to get moved.
“Shah Rukh has apologised to the kids and his fans, not to us, nor are we looking forward to any apology from him. But, we may discuss it in a meeting. However, we are glad that at least he publicly confessed that he misbehaved,” says Ravi Savant, treasurer, MCA.
The 46-year-old actor, euphoric after his team, Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR), defeated Chennai Super Kings in a nail-biting cricket match on Sunday, publicly regretted his behaviour (see inset). Fans were far too quick to accept the gesture. “SRK is a role model for many. By apologising, that too in public, he’s gained respect in our hearts,” says 23-year-old engineering student Arun Kashyap.
“It’s like a tight slap on the faces of all the people who were criticising him. He is a true gentleman,” says Rajat Tyagi, 24. “SRK’s apology added to the celebrations of the KKR win. I am sure now no one has anything to complain about him,” says Sonali Duggal, 27, an executive.
Some, however, call the apology, and its timing, clever. “It was a smart move by him. He apologised just at the right moment,” says Vanshika Kumar, 21, student. “I think he took advantage of KKR’s win to apologise. I don’t think if they had lost, he would have done that,” says Abhinav Gaur, a student.
However, IPL management was quick to support SRK. “It’s a very positive step from Shah Rukh. Let’s wait to see what MCA has to say on that,” says chairman Rajiv Shukla.