Biggest fashion bash
After the biggest Commonwealth Games ever, the Capital is all set to play host to the biggest ever fashion week in the country — the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week.fashion and trends Updated: Oct 23, 2010 13:12 IST
After the biggest Commonwealth Games ever, the Capital is all set to play host to the biggest ever fashion week in the country — the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2010-2011, starting Saturday. Besides 118 participating designers — the largest count so far — it also boasts of the biggest fashion week venue India has had, one that measures 11,633 sq mts, and is spread over two floors in Pragati Maidan. There are also 150 stalls, the highest number in the history of an Indian fashion week.
“We are comparable to any global fashion gala. There is a lot of room for restaurants, stalls, the model lounge and a very comfy waiting area. This venue goes by the modern architecture concept of light, air and space,” says Sunil Sethi, FDCI president. The council has already earned over R2.4 crore from the participating designers.
Despite the event clashing with the Diwali season, which marks the maximum sales for designers, the participants are unperturbed. “There is a lot of stress because of the festive season, but it is not like you are losing clients or business in any way. Rather, with everyone on the same floor, it is only more rewarding,” says designer Nida Mahmood.
Participants are happy that the venue is once again Pragati Maidan, after a hiatus. “Space is always my biggest concern, and hotels cannot do justice. Even the green rooms there are tiny,” says makeup artist Ambika Pillai. “I am happy we are back at Pragati Maidan. It speaks of business and is more organised than a hotel,” Mahmood adds.
Another change that has been introduced this year is that in the timings of shows. They would now begin at 2pm unlike previous years, when they’d start at noon. “When the shows started at noon, the halls would be empty. That’s not fair to the designer,” says choreographer Rashmi Virmani.
Figuring out this Fashion Week (October 23-27)
* Participating designers: 118
* No of stall areas sold: 150
* Total area: 11,633 square mt, spread over two floors, making it the largest ever venue
* Number of designers showcasing on the ramp: 59
* Buyer registration count: 100 buyers (international and domestic) have registered till date, but the count will go up by the time the event starts
* Total number of models: 48 (inclusive of 15 new models)
* Backend staff: More than 800
* Length of the ramp: 60 feet
* Number of choreographers: 9
* Number of makeup artists: 3
* Cost of standard stall: Rs 1.25 lakh (plus taxes)
* Size of standard stall: 10x 10 square feet
* Fee for a single designer show, plus standard stall: R3 lakh (plus taxes)
* Fee for shared show and stall: Rs 2 lakh