Designer Kunal Rawal’s 5-point fashion guide for bulkier men
Think sharp dressing is just for the skinny ones?Think againHT48HRS_Special Updated: Aug 06, 2016 08:38 IST
Think sharp dressing is just for the skinny ones?Think again. Designer Kunal Rawal’s fashion guide for the bulkier men
Size zero has dominated the world of fashion for decades now. But a revolution is brewing in the glamour world. The upcoming edition of Lakmé Fashion Week (August 24 to 28) is set to break stereotypes with a plus-size fashion show. Even the idea of fitness is changing - fit is no longer synonymous with being skinny. Most importantly, this is the time to embrace body confidence. And so, today, let’s talk about the big man.
1) Dressing up for your body type is a big part of being well turned out. No matter if you are on the heavier side, some fits and cuts will give you a suave and stylish look. To hide the tricky areas, make sure the garment looks like it has the perfect fit. For those with a visible belly, pick shirts with slightly loose waist measurements. Also, darker colours do the trick: black is the most slimming colour; it works like magic.
2) Never go for super skinny bottoms if you’re heavy below the waist. Drop crotch and roomier crotches are best for such body types. Slim straights work well too (slim keeps you silhouette tighter and straight makes your bottom look more proportionate. These fits and cuts also help elongate your body.
3) Try medium to big collars to tone down the double chin. Keep in mind: if your collar grazes the neck or your chin, it’s too big. Keep a button open so that you don’t end up looking broad and stuffy. A nice, clean stubble will add to the look. Try picking a V-neck or a Henley tee (instead of a high round neck) to make your neck look longer.
4) Longer hems and drop crotch pants work well for plus-sized body shapes. However, when wearing this trend make sure the garments aren’t oversized as it may just end up looking baggy. These pieces help manipulate your silhouette, which in turn helps hide disproportionate body types.
5) Opt for oversized shoulders when picking jackets and blazers. This style is extremely complimenting for the Indian body type. Big shoulders help balance out the rest of your body and make the rest of your silhouette look smaller.
Kunal Rawal is a leading men’s fashion designer. He tweets as @kunalrawalvibe