Dormcore is in: When fashion gets comfy
Forget normcore. The coolest new term that has made a free wheeling entry into the fashion dictionary is dormcore.fashion and trends Updated: Nov 22, 2015 10:19 IST
No, don’t turn up your nose if you see your looker of a neighbour walking into your party in breezy pajamas. He is just road-testing a new trend — dormcore! Dormcore draws inspiration from the college dorms in the US. The trend declares that it is not ill-mannered or unpolished to move around in loose, comfy pajamas in public.
With fashion forward celebs wearing pajamas in public, there can’t be a more convincing endorsement of the trend. Recently, Selena Gomez stepped out in Paris wearing an ink blue Derek Rose London set. Selena managed to look every bit gorgeous in the set that she teamed with straight hair, red lips and winged eyes, colourblocking the look with pop red sandals.
Rihanna also recently wore pajamas in public. The fearless fashionista stepped out in pink silk pajamas paired with pink satin robe and pink Marabou Boudoir sandals. American actor Woody Harrelson also turned fashion rules on their heads when he went dormcore at The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 premiere. Harrelson walked in wearing a T-shirt, pajamas and socks sans shoes.
Dormcore is popping up on the global ramp as well with designers presenting fun takes on pajamas. Right from Alexandara Wang to Givenchy, the comfy wear is having a fun moment. Closer home, designers are experimenting with versions that can be confidently worn outside homes. Here’s some inspiration to rock the look.
Get to the core of it
Normcore: A global style movement that’s about fitting in rather than standing out. It favours all things comfy, freewheeling and relaxed. It gives you the freedom to be who you are. So mum’s oversized sweater, socks with sandals are all in.
Dormcore: A fashion trend inspired by college dorms. The trend that votes for comfort over anything else declares that it is okay to wear pajamas in public. The trend has got a thumbs up from many fearless fashionistas.
If you are game for rocking dormcore, here’s how to make the best of the trend without looking as if you are sleepwalking.
Keep these points in mind when wearing your PJs outdoors:
1. Clever layering can instantly give your pajamas a chic street-style makeover. Team your printed pajama set with a smart, fitted blazer and kitten heels and you are good to venture out.
2. Wear your printed pajamas with your denim shirt. Colour-block the look with fun neon sneakers.
3. Tuck in your T-shirt inside your pajamas to accentuate your waist. You can add a stylish belt to make the look more structured. Wear your heels and you are good to walk into your office!
4. Never venture out wearing sloppy pajamas. Buy pajamas in silk, satin or cotton, ones with lace trimmings, bold and edgy prints and fun colours.
5. Choose fun, quirky accessories to add a bold edge to your look. Pair your pajamas with a conversation starter clutch, bold, colourful heels, or a funky neckpiece.
6. How about giving your dormcore look a fun gypsy spin? Team your kurta with printed pajamas, booties and wear a fun bindi.
7. Striped pajamas are timelessly stylish. They invoke an effortless retro vibe, and are super versatile.