How to layer it up this winter
With the air getting a little nippy, now is the time to create a wardrobe that is both cute and cosy. Up the fun quotient this winter with light separates and playful combos. The fashion experts show you how.fashion and trends Updated: Dec 24, 2014 19:53 IST
With the air getting a little nippy, now is the time to create a wardrobe that is both cute and cosy. While thick woollens and trenches are still out of question in Mumbai, clever layering is a great way to look chic this season. Use our guide on how to style different winter looks, the materials to sport, and more.
Go from day to night
* Wear your scarf as a belt in the day, and around your neck with a jacket at night.
* Men can button down a light cardigan over a formal shirt in the day and opt for an elbow-patch corduroy jacket at night.
* Swap your work shirt for a sequinned top under your suit.
* Invest in a reversible jacket with light and dark colours on either side. Wear the lighter shade in the day and invert at night.
* Add statement jewellery with a jacket over whatever you have on.
* If you like multiple layers, opt for cotton, light wool and rich silks. Handwoven options add an edge.
* Add an element in a richer fabric and deeper colour tone, like a jacket or a stole.
* Use knee-high socks and ankle boots for a preppy day look. Simply take off the socks at night.
Items to invest in
* A sequinned or biker jacket to make an impact.
* Statement scarves - for men too.
* Metallic tank and crop tops and sequinned skirts for parties.
* Cotton cardigans for the day.
Winter styling: Do it right
* A tailored denim shirt that doubles up as a light outer layer.
* Sweatshirts and denims for days you can't decide what to wear.
* Faux leather leggings, because they won't look this good in any other season.
* Bright T-shirts that can be worn under unbuttoned shirts.
* A calf-length cape or light trench for some drama on dull days.
* A well-cut black dress.
* Strike a balance between fitted and flowy. Pair a fitted jacket with wide-legged pants, or a fitted top with a loose jacket.
* Wrap and overwrap silhouettes like a double-breasted jacket or an overlap shirt are in.
* Androgynous or military styling are chic options.
* Voluminous and slouchy silhouettes give off a grungy vibe.
* A crisp shirt, layered with a jumper with the shirt collar visible from underneath and a parka to go on top, is very chic.
- With inputs from designers Varun Bahl, Kunal Anil Tanna, Dipika Israni of Sapphire, Maithili Kabre, Sana & Sulakshana from The Circus, Shruti Sheth, Neeta Lulla and Jelin George