Here's how to take care of your jewellery:
1. Pack the right way: Silver or stone-studded jewellery should never be kept with other metals. Your silver trinkets should be tightly packed while storing them in a small zippered plastic bag. It will not only retain the shine but also prevent other jewellery from rubbing with each other, which can in turn cause scratches. Also, do not leave it open in the air for days as that can cause fast discolouration. You can also pack them in anti-tarnish pads
2. The wood effect: Avoid keeping silver in envelopes or even in small wooden or cardboard boxes. Timber consists of an acid that tends to tarnish the exterior of the silver. Cardboard pulp may also yield the same results.
3. Keep away from cosmetics: Allow body lotions and perfumes to dry completely before packing away the jewels as the chemicals present in them would bond and react with the copper and alloys present in silver. This would speed up the process of tarnishing dramatically.
4. Bath time rules: Removing your jewellery while you bathe or swim isn’t necessary. Just rinse with soap and water afterwards to clean off residual chemicals from your jewels.
5. For accidental stains: If you do stain your jewellery with makeup, perfumes, food or drinks, immediately rinse with water and soap.
(with inputs from BG’s Fashion Jewellery)