More weird than wonderful? Here’s how to tell bad quirk from fab quirk
It’s a great thing to love quirk. But be careful that you do not turn into an alien from that undiscovered planet in your attempt to look wacky and cool.fashion and trends Updated: Apr 18, 2016 12:14 IST
We know that life’s too short to wear imagination deprived clothes, and that fashion is all about being weird and wonderful. Although there can’t be rigid rules in fashion, if you stretch the idea too far, there’s always the peril of falling for something that’s more weird than wonderful. These celeb sightings are a lesson in how to tell bad quirk from fab quirk.
1. Actor Mini Mathur’s look is an example of how even the most gracious saris can declare mutiny if you treat them wrong. Mini looks odd here, with her one leg jutting out from under the pleats. While it is fun to team saris with leggings and jeggings, these tattered denim tights just couldn’t get along with this sari. The hostility is so in-your-face. We wonder how her stylist failed to see this!
2.There are creations that make waves on the runway, but prove a complete dud in the transition from ramp to real life. This particular outfit that actor Aditi Rao Hydari wore, lacked what it takes to go from ramp to real. It’s not only the mannequin-like feel that we have a problem with. The gown makes her look stocky and boxy from the waist down.
3. The ravishing Chitrangada Singh was found uncomfortably trapped in this mammoth floral gown. From the sheer cape to the ship-inspired enigma of a gown, this is a serious fashion fail. It might have worked as part of a wedding installation, but as an outfit, it is a gigantic disappointment.
4.We know anti-fit is in, but does it have to be so anti-fun too? Wonder what made filmmaker Kiran Rao hide herself in this boxy checkered dress, which is 10 times larger than her size. The quirky neckpiece and her I-couldn’t-care-less confidence could also not rescue her from looking uncool.
5.This white top with bizarrely placed overwhelming ruffles and brocade skirt does nothing for the gorgeous Sonam Kapoor. If anything, it makes the actor’s look boxy and broad. While we love the makeup and the hair, we think the outfit only ruffles feathers in its ramp to real journey.
6.Saris have all the right to be fun and freewheeling, and we love it when stylistas break rules and wear them differently. But what we see here looks more like confusion rather than fusion. Kitschy jewellery, leather boots and glasses , all crowded together, make it just too much for singer Sona Mohapatra to deal with. You can see that in this picture.
We’ve seen this before!
They could be the most stylish people in Bollywood, but they too have got it horribly wrong at times. A quick look at what made these looks more weird than wonderful :
7.No, this has got nothing to do with the annual Flamenco dance competition. We were in for a shock when one of our most favourite stylistas - actor Deepika Padukone turned up in this overwhelming ruffled dress at an awards ceremony.
8.There are few who can compete with actor Kangana Ranaut when it comes to effortless style. So, it hurt to see her in this fantastical pantsuit with flowers, fruits and that lone snake. Who all said ‘Jungle Book’ when they saw it?
9.We could hardly believe our eyes when we saw the pretty Jacqueline Fernandez in this lace-meets-peplum-meets-disaster gown. This will remain etched in the history of oddity sold in the name of fashion.
10. Bow-bun, warrior costume inspired bodice and sexy lace put together – this look had all the makings of a fashion fail, and there’s nothing as sad as seeing a stunning fashionsita like actor Priyanka Chopra trapped in it.
HOW NOT TO TURN HOT INTO ODD
* No matter how badly you fall in love with an outfit, don’t wear it if it doesn’t flatter your body type.
* Steer clear of drowning silhouettes. What’s the point when all one get to see is the outfit, not the person wearing it? Remember, it is about you looking good, not showing off someone’s slice of fantasy.
* There are outfits that are never meant to make the transit to real life. So leave them on the runway.
* Do not take things to extremes. For instance, mammoth ruffles, too many unusual motifs put together or two completely incompatible things clubbed together, can spell trouble.
* Crowding an attention grabbing outfit with too many accessories is the perfect recipe for a fashion fail.