Is there anything more to say about the just-concluded Lakme Fashion Week in the city? You bet there is.
Umesh Jivnani, infallibly, gets you the spice...
At the LFW this time, so much came out of the new bunch compared to the veterans who paled in significance. Everyone from James Ferreira to Sabyasachi Mukherjee agreed that the real heroes were the fresh lot. And even though LFW didn’t have half the drama of Delhi in terms of the after-show action, there were some moments that made us laugh, cringe and erase.
* Punch of the Week: Model Shamita Singha boxed a lecherous drunkard straight on his face after he got touchy with her at the Peroni lounge.
* Complaint of the Week: Several new designers complained that backstage stylist Gautam Kalra edited their collections very badly and refused to listen to them before their show.
* Best of the Week: The energised father-daughter combo of Anil and Sonam Kapoor who shared this glory with Sonakshi Sinha, by walking the ramp.
* Hottest Gossip of the Week: On the last day, a prominent socialite insisted that the city’s A-list women were avoiding the event because of the presence of a society lady holding court at the venue.
* Biggest Discovery of the Week: Accessory designer: Little Shilpa, small in frame, big in talent.
* Worst Fit of the Week: Sameera Reddy and Neha Uberoi couldn’t fit into the clothes of Nikhil and Shantanu at the opening LFW show. The designers started the show anyway, even as options were hurriedly tried on backstage.
* Most sought after man at the Week: Michael Hadida of Tranoi. Eventually, he chose Anupama Dayal and two other undisclosed names for the next season in Paris.
* Cheesiest moment of the Week: Designer Agnimitra Paul getting blind children to walk at the end of her show. Very unnecessary and exploitative — this made her mediocre show worse.
* Weak link of the Week: The IMG and Lakme guys have to space out their schedules more prudently next season. The first day was fabulous but the last day was a clutter of terrible shows. And next time, if they give Narendra Kumar Ahmed three shows, then let’s call it NFW.
* Footloose moment of the Week: During Anupama Dayal’s show, a foreign model’s shoes slipped out of her feet on the ramp.. she coolly left them behind and walked back bare feet. Ravi Krishnan was quick to pick them off stage.
* Worst Hair day of the Week: Miss India Parvati wins this hands down after a portion of her long tresses was burnt by Cory Walia’s team members backstage before one of the shows.
* Best Collections of the Week: Salt by Ruchi Mehta, Nikasha Tawade, Rahul Mishra, Rishta by Arjun, Manish Gupta, Rimzim Dadu, the Accessory Show, Anuj Sharma, Preeti Chandra and Sabyasachi Mukherjee.
* Disappointing shows of the Week: Archana Kochhar, Babita M, Lina Tipnis, Agnimitra Paul and Abdul Halder.