You’d have always blamed mom for plaiting your hair during school days, and making you look boring. But, if the recent trends on the red carpet are anything to go by, stylish side braids seem to be the next big thing in fashion. From Bipasha Basu to Kalki Koechlin, Chitrangda Singh and Dia Mirza, all these fashion-forward Bollywood actors were recently seen donning the side-braid look to make a style statement.
From fishtail to French side braids there are a host of options you can go for. Beauty expert Naina Arora says, “One can go for a variety of braids such as a classic braid, French braid or fishtail braid. They can even be converted into formal updos or wedding hairstyles.”
When going for a braid, however, the shape of the face should be kept in mind. “Braids look best on people with an oblong, diamond, oval or round face,” says hair stylist Kanika Bhardwaj. “People with a round face can go for any kind of style as braiding makes your face appear slimmer and longer. French or fishtail braids that leave a fringe or bangs on the forehead look good on people with a square or heart-shaped face,” says Arora.
What to wear with braids
Messy yet chic braids sometimes give a Bohemian-inspired look that goes well with gowns and dresses with V or broad necks. You can also go for a casual jeans-tee look. If you are wearing a one-shoulder dress, try the classic braid with your hair pulled back from the front, and let your braid fall on your bare shoulder. “You can flaunt a twisted fishtail braid with casual jeans and tee or summer dresses. The side swept bangs go well with side braids for an everyday casual look,” says fashion stylist Riya Saluja.
Look princessly yet relaxed with flower clips and bandanas. When wearing a gown, keep the hair accessories minimum and limited to jewelled pins or just a flower behind your ear. You can complete the look with danglers and a smart glittering clutch.
Try a messy french braid at home
* Remove all the tangles from your hair. Also, If you have flyaways, use a good quality smoothing cream to settle the hair before braiding.
* Divide the hair you want to braid into three sections. Also, decide which direction you’ll weave your braid; you can weave from right to left or left to right, depending on whatever feels most comfortable.
* Make a long braid on one side, beginning just above the ear, taking it all the way till the bottom.
* Once the braid is in place, tie the end with an elastic hair tie or a nice bright hair band.
* Finally, take very small pieces of hair near the end of the braid and pull them free to give an unfinished look. You could also curl the front sections to create a stylish tousled look.
*Finish your look with funky hair accessories such as beaded pins and hair clips.
By Simran Chattwal, Persona Luxury Salon & Spa
Do you have any funky and chic side-braid ideas? Share with us on www.facebook.com/htcity