Now that the the Wonderbra, and the revelation that it is a colossal hit of epic proportions, has brought lingerie into the open, here’s what to keep in mind about those once unmentionable items in your wardrobe.
Good brands make good lingerie. Creating the perfect bra is tougher than stitiching a couture gown. Go for brands known to invest in R and D in lingerie making.
Glam isn’t always good
Glamourous brands are not always the best. Some brands are known for the image they portray. But if it does not work for you, it will not add to your glamour quotient. It is best to mix and match brands for daily comfort and for glamour evenings.
Fit matters most
Different brands fit differently. Sizes differ. Nothing beats a trial. And don’t hesitate to ask the lady assistant for help.
Go for variety. Add a strapless, a multiway, or a front fastener. Ensure you have a white, a beige and a black. And at least one tee shirt bra. Invisible straps are good standbys for that gauzy top or the lace choli.
Never show straps
Showing straps has won some votes, but unless it is a really pretty style, lingerie straps are best kept under wraps.
Get rid of old bras
However pretty it may be, get rid of a bra if it goes out of shape, or if the elastic loosens. Panty lines are a no no Check in the mirror to ensure you don't have the tell tale V showing.
Pick what suits you
Know which style of panty works best for your body shape. If you plan a fitted dress, invest in a tummy shaper to make sure the bulge does not show.
Mind the colours
Never wear black or dark panties under white or light pants. And vice versa.
What else you must know:
* Wearing lace bras under see-through blouses, especially at work, is a strict no no no matter how experimental you want to be.
* Make sure that you wash all your regular lingerie by hand. Avoid using the washing machine unless it has a hand wash function, and use softer washing powders.
* Lace is nice, and so is satin. But ensure the gusset is of cotton.
* Panties, like toothbrushes, have limited life cycles. even if they look good, dispose!
* Low rise jeans need panties that wont show at the waist. High waisted formal pants need panties that sit at the waist . French knickers are a good idea too.