Ladies, take note: Osteoarthritis affects more women than men | fitness | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 20, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Ladies, take note: Osteoarthritis affects more women than men

The study noted that obesity was one of the major factors related to the rise in cases. It also found higher incidence of osteoarthritis in younger people.

fitness Updated: May 26, 2017 13:59 IST
The severity of osteoarthritis is higher among women.
The severity of osteoarthritis is higher among women.(Shutterstock)

Osteoarthritis — a disease of joints — is reported more among women than men, says a study conducted by the Arthritis Foundation of India (AFI). The study suggested that the severity of arthritis is also much higher in females as compared with males. It found an alarmingly high incidence of arthritis — 26.5% — among younger people in their 30s.

“In all, 55% of the patients (with osteoarthritis) were females, as compared to 45% males,” said the AFI study conducted among 600 OPD patients in Doctor Hedgewar Aarogya Sansthan, Vir Savarkar Hospital, Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital and R.K. Hospital here.

The AFI, Indian member of International Osteoporosis Foundation and the World Health Organization (WHO), conducted an epidemiological study on the situation of osteoarthritis in Delhi and found obesity and lack of awareness as a leading factor contributing to its prevalence.

The disease progresses faster among people who suffer from obesity, hypertension and diabetes. (Shutterstock)

“Obesity was a major contributing factor, with 53% of the respondents found to be obese,” the study said. Also, with the risk factors like hypertension, diabetes, thyroid and others, the progress of the diseases was much quicker in many cases within two years, it added.

The study also considered the socio-economic background of the patients and found that 70% of the total participants (in the study) belonged to less than Rs 25,000 per month income group, while the remaining 30% belonged to above Rs 25,000 a month bracket.

“The marginally high severe cases can be attributed to the lifestyle in lower socio-economic group like elevator-less multi-storied housing, Indian toilets and more of them sitting frequently on the floor, etc.” In terms of the age bracket, 73.5% patients, who attended the arthritis OPD for knee arthritis, were more than 40 years of age.

“This study throws light on the prevalence of osteoarthritis in Delhi, and the general public’s response to the disease. Unfortunately, there is little awareness among the masses, which is not a good sign and is preventing people from getting the right treatment at the right time,” said Dr. Sushil Sharma, Senior Orthopedician and AFI Chairman.

The study noted that progression of the disease could have been prevented and the suffering minimised to quite an extent had it been reported in the mild stage.

Follow @htlifeandstyle for more