Captain Morgan steps up for Leicester in anticlimactic, eventful draw

  • Arjun Sangha, Hindustan Times
  • Updated: May 02, 2016 18:42 IST
Leicester's Wes Morgan, centre, celebrates after scoring during the English Premier League match against Manchester United. (AP)

A boring draw? After all the buildup and hype, Leicester City were made to wait for their first Premier League title in their 132-year history. It was somewhat anticlimactic.

Manchester United got off to a flying start, scoring within the first eight minutes as Anthony Martial was left completely unmarked in the box, burying the ball into the bottom corner. The marking from Danny Drinkwater was questionable -- he should have been tighter to his man.

Leicester produced a response within the next 10 minutes. Again due to poor marking from the set piece, captain Wes Morgan was left unmarked and headed home the equaliser.

The first half didn’t see much more goalmouth action, with Leicester missing their attacking outlet in the form of Jamie Vardy. This meant that their tactic of playing the long ball did not quite work out as there was no one to latch onto it.

There were, however, a few talking points in the first half.

Marouane Fellaini flung an elbow towards Robert Huth, which replays confirmed. After the game, Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal said that Fellaini’s reaction was due to the fact that Robert Huth had pulled his hair, and the Dutchman backed his player by saying, “I think that is a normal reaction.”

Read | EPL: Van Gaal says Huth pulled Fellaini’s hair, does same to reporter

Replays also confirmed that Huth had indeed pulled Fellaini’s hair.

It is likely that the FA will look further into the matter, which could lead to a ban for Fellaini.

Another incident was when Danny Simpson sloppily conceded possession to Jesse Lingard, and then appeared to foul Lingard in an attempt to win the ball back. It wasn’t a foul, but it should have been one met with a red card since Simpson was the last man between Lingard and a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Leicester looked like the team more likely to score.

The main talking point of the second half was Danny Drinkwater’s red card. He received a second yellow for clearly holding back Memphis Depay.

The United players were still disappointed that they weren’t given a penalty, as replays showed that when contact was made Depay was technically in the box, and that Leicester had gotten away.

The game ended 1-1, a fitting result as neither team had done quite enough to deserve all three points. Leicester did gain a vital point, however, putting the pressure right back on Tottenham, who face Chelsea on Saturday in a game they must win in order to keep their title bid alive.

Read: Leicester’s title celebrations postponed as United hold them to a draw

also read

Fifa fines Spanish FA for breach of transfer rules by Madrid clubs
Show comments