Rooney braced for Manchester United start against Chelsea

  • AFP, Manchester
  • |
  • Updated: Aug 24, 2013 09:29 IST

Manchester United manager David Moyes has revealed that Wayne Rooney could start Monday's Premier League showdown with Chelsea despite being regularly linked with a move to the London club.

Rooney, who has been the subject of two failed bids from Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, has been suffering from hamstring and shoulder injuries.

But the 27-year-old came on as a second-half substitute in last weekend's opening win at Swansea, setting up goals for Robin van Persie and Danny Welbeck.

"Wayne has recovered and has a good chance of starting," Moyes said.

Earlier Friday, Moyes reaffirmed United's stance that Rooney will not be sold to Chelsea.

Mourinho has suggested he will make a third bid for the England international following Monday's game at Old Trafford.

But when asked if there had been anything further on Rooney's future, Moyes said: "We have said it haven't we? It is still the same message."

 

also read

Steven Gerrard off as Juan Mata brace for Manchester United ends Liverpo...

blog comments powered by Disqus