24 labourers sent to judicial custody for Friday violence | gurgaon | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

24 labourers sent to judicial custody for Friday violence

gurgaon Updated: Mar 25, 2012 02:01 IST
Sunil Thapliyal
Sunil Thapliyal

A day after massive violence over the death of a worker at a construction site in Sector 58, the 24 arrested workers were produced in a local court on Saturday which sent them to judicial custody.

The police have also booked companies Larsen&Toubro (L&T) Limited and Alufit India Pvt Limited on charges of negligence and culpable homicide for the worker’s death.

A team of the labour department also visited the site on Saturday and found irregularities on part of the management who allegedly did not take adequate security measures at the construction site.

The three-member team was led by Ravi Yadav, joint director, industrial safety and health.

“The firms had provided safety equipment to labourers but it seems they did not provide them basic training to use them. It is their responsibility to implement safety rules strictly,” said Yadav.

“We are investigating the matter and will recommend action against the guilty,” he added.

Trouble started when a mob erupted after a labourer fell to death from the sixth floor of a building at Golf Course Extension in Sector 58.

The 28-floor high-rise is part of private builder IREO’s Grand Arch residential project.

Workers alleged that the contractor had tried to hide the body to destroy evidence.

A mob of 1,000 labourers vandalised the developer’s project office, burnt a police jeep and a motorbike and damaged cars.

“On the complaint of the victim’s brother Mehdi Hassan, L&T Limited and Alufit were booked. The arrested 24 workers who indulged in violence and damaged property have been sent to judicial custody,” said Gurgaon DCP (south) Hamid Akhtar.

The deceased worker, Bakul Hassan, 25, from Baghpat in Uttar Pradesh, was fitting windowpanes when he fell.

He was declared dead on arrival at a private hospital in Gurgaon.

Police said the workers got into an argument with the security guards who were trying to rush Hassan to hospital.