Fire in Gurgaon’s Sheetla hospital, two suffer minor injuries
There were 22 patients in the entire hospital when the fire broke out - most of whom were shifted to other hospitals.gurgaon Updated: Jul 14, 2017 20:27 IST
A fire broke out on Friday morning at the Sheetla hospital here at the New Railway road due to a short circuit in the AC. Authorities at the hospital said no one was “even minorly injured”. However, HT found out that two men, who rushed to the hospital to evacuate the patients, were slightly injured on their hands.
No one, however, was seriously injured in the fire.
Meanwhile, a man posted video of the fire on YouTube and said it was a terror attack and that a bomb blast had taken place at the hospital. The police said that a complaint has been forwarded to the cyber cell for preliminary investigation. An FIR would be registered after that, an official said.
Deen Mohammad, who runs a scrap shop adjacent to the hospital, told HT that as soon as he saw “the first floor engulfed in fire,” he rushed to help.
“From outside, it appeared like a massive fire had happened. Some of us rushed into the hospital to help. The staff and the fire department people were evacuating patients were running here and there,” the 28-year-old said.
He suffered a minor injury on his right hand, along with one more person whose received a cut on hand due to the broken glass. Mohammad said the other person went back to his home after the fire stopped.
“The fire broke out 9.30 am and we received a call at 9.52. We immediately rushed five fire tenders to the spot and in no time, evacuated the entire hospital,” Gulshan Kalra, fire station officer of Bhim Nagar told HT.
He said two kids, aged ten and eight, were admitted in the room on the first floor where the fire broke out. They were evacuated the moment after sparks were seen coming from the AC.
Rakesh Mishra, administrator of Sheetla hospital said that there were 22 patients in the entire hospital when the fire broke out- most of whom were shifted to other hospitals in the morning itself.
“There were about five-six patients who were discharged while seven-eight were shifted to Civil hospital. Other patients were shifted to Aryan and Lal hospital as well and returned to hospital after fire was doused,” Mishra said.
“It seems like a short circuit in the AC but we are still investigating”.
Dr. Ajay Sharma, director of hospital, said in statement, “The minor fire was brought under control within a few minutes of it occurrence. The hospital has resumed normal functioning. The fire was limited to only one room and no damage happened to any person or equipment”.