Gurgaon: Four peacocks die of heat stroke in a week | gurgaon | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Gurgaon: Four peacocks die of heat stroke in a week

The People for Animals (PFA), Gurgaon, confirmed the four deaths and peacocks dying in the heat has become common of late.

gurgaon Updated: May 26, 2017 13:25 IST
Ipsita Pati
The four dead peacocks were recovered by the doctors of the Jain Bird Hospital, a charitable institution in Jacobpura, from Jharsa, Ghata, Manesar and Dhankot area.
The four dead peacocks were recovered by the doctors of the Jain Bird Hospital, a charitable institution in Jacobpura, from Jharsa, Ghata, Manesar and Dhankot area.(HT Photo)

Not just human beings, but even birds are finding it tough to survive the rising mercury. In a week, four peacocks reported died of the heat in different parts of the city, animal rights workers have said.

The People for Animals (PFA), Gurgaon, confirmed the four deaths and peacocks dying in the heat has become common of late.

“This is a common scenario now. Every year, a large number of peacocks die because of habitat loss, heat stroke and electrocution. We have seen four peacock deaths this week,” said Amit Chaudhery, president, PFA, Gurgaon.

The four dead peacocks were recovered by the doctors of the Jain Bird Hospital, a charitable institution in Jacobpura, from Jharsa, Ghata, Manesar and Dhankot area. The post-mortem report of the carcasses confirmed that the birds died of heat stroke.

The temperature in the city has been hovering above 40 degrees Celsius for the last one month and, as a result, the numbers of birds dying of heat stroke too has gone up, said Dr Rajkumar, Jain Bird Hospital.

“We currently have four peacocks at our centre and they are undergoing treatment. The birds are affected by the heat and also suffer from diarrhoea. We are taking necessary steps to save the birds,” Dr Rajkumar said.

Also, two peacock deaths were reported from Manesar and Mahendergarh due to electrocution last month, he added.

On February 22, a peacock was electrocuted when it came in contact with a live electricity wire near a tree in a park in Jal Vihar Society in Sector 38.

The residents of the society said the open wires are a big concern as there has been many instances of crows and pigeons dying because of electrocution around the green belt.

Last year in March, the National Green Tribunal has directed authorities in the national capital region to remove high tension wires found around trees.