Gurgaon: Fire guts two coaching centres on Basai Road, no injuries
Fire officials said the blaze was caused by a short-circuitgurgaon Updated: May 19, 2017 23:51 IST
A fire broke out near Bhuteshwar Mandir Chowk at Basai road on Friday, gutting two coaching centres completely. No one was injured in the incident.
Fire department officials said that the blaze was reported around 3pm and it is suspected to have been caused by a short-circuit.
The coaching centers, fire department officials said, conducted sewing and computer classes on the first and second floors of the building. The fire was reported to have originated in a room next to where computer training is imparted. The blaze then quickly spread to a small kitchen, which led to a cylinder blast that further added to the fire.
“The coaching centres were full with students when the blaze occurred. Luckily no one was injured and a major mishap was avoided. There was an escape route that opened on to the adjacent building and all the people trapped in the fire managed to escape through their,” said IS Kashyap, fire safety officer.
Kashyap added that seven fire tenders were pressed into service and the fire was brought under control within twenty minutes. The fire was controlled before it could spread to the ground floor where a branch of Oriental Bank of Commerce is situated.
“Eyewitness told us that one of the rooms was filled with overhead wires, where we suspect that the fire might have started. An investigation has been launched and we are trying to ascertain if the building owner had procured a no-objection certificate from the fire department,” Kashyap added.