Gurgaon gets a dose of comedy
Four standup comedians from Gurgaon get together for a show that is humorously based on life in the Millennium City.gurgaon Updated: Sep 15, 2016 07:32 IST
He calls himself a dollop of wasted potential, melting and running down the sides of life’s cup into a saucer of lethargy and despair. That’s how standup comedian Shivam Lakhanpal introduces himself. Though an MBA , he now tweets for a living.
Comedian Chirag Panjwani calls himself a confused soul hates all corporate jobs and cannot understand why he hates them. Rahul Dua, from Punjab, claims to have left it well before it started to ‘fly’. And, Garv Malik’s decision to live in Gurgaon was entirely based on alcohol prices, and he is now on a journey full of discovery (of wines ).
And now, these four standup comedians are all set to tickle your funny bone as part of a comedy show NH8, to be hosted in Gurgaon, with jokes drawn from - you guessed right, from Gurgaon.
Guess why the show is called NH8? Because every day when people leave for their offices in Gurgaon, often they are stuck in jams. Shivam, says, “We have kept the focus on Gurgaon because all of us are putsiders but we are based here. The show is from the perspective of such outsiders, who make for most of the working population in Gurgaon. Our jokes stem from real-life observations and are a take on a slightly-difficult life in a difficult city.”
But it’s all in good humour. “Even when we hadn’t conceptualised this idea, we’d usually joke about the various aspects of this city,” adds Shivam. Comic Chirag adds, “We don’t give the city its due credit for popularising comedy.”
For Rahul Dua, the joke lies in the transformation that he has undergone as an individual, after migrating from Ludhiana. “My act’s focus will be on the contrast - how I was and how I have become after coming here.”
Stand up comedian Garv Malik’s commuting woes and house-hunting, including description of rules imposed on bachelors will shape up his performance. “One day you realise that the roads you were supposed to take are no longer there. Gurgaon ki daaru bhi sasti hai so I moved to Gurgaon. If the show goes well, we’ll all buy bullet proof jackets,” he says in jest.
Jokes on the menu at this fest:
1. I started pursuing stand up comedy as a career when all auto drivers here laughed at my greatest joke in Gurgaon. “Bhaiya meter se chaloge?”
2. Gurgaon is the ultimate adventure sports destination. You can do off-roading and rafting. Both at Subhash Chowk and free of cost.
3. There are so many Discovery Wines in every nook and corner of Gurgaon. Discovery Wines are the Aggarwal sweets of Gurgaon.
4. People on one side of NH8 live in traffic. The other side lives in poverty.
5. There is no girl who is out of league for a Gurgaon guy. Except for one who can run faster than him.
6. Ye baal dhoop mein safed nahi huey hain. Huda City Centre ki lambi line mein huey hain.
7. Technology is a curse. Last night, in Gurgaon, I was looted at gunpoint despite having no cash on me. ‘PayTM karo’, they said.
8. In Gurgaon, you die by choice. The choice of the driver of the SUV you just rammed into.
CATCH IT LIVE
What: NH8 , stand-up comedy
Where: Epicentre, Sector-44, Gurgaon
When: September 15
Nearest Metro station: Huda City Centre on Yellow Line