Gurgaon police yet to trace man accused of raping American minor
Gurgaon Police, which had booked a 21-year-old Nigerian expat for raping a 17-year-old US national on Wednesday evening, is yet to establish the identity of the accused for want of support from the victim and her mother.gurgaon Updated: Mar 20, 2015 14:36 IST
Gurgaon Police, which had booked a 21-year-old Nigerian expat for raping a 17-year-old US national on Wednesday evening, is yet to establish the identity of the accused for want of support from the victim and her mother.
The girl was allegedly raped in a Gurgaon guest house on Monday by the accsued, whom she had met on a social networking site. Though the Class 9 student and her mother did not file a complaint, a case of rape was registered after the doctors at New Delhi's AIIMS, where the girl was rushed on Monday night, alerted the police.
"The victim is trying to shield the accused and is not providing any clue which could help police to nab the man. Though she had provided two mobile numbers of the accused but these have not been used for the last 15 days. There are possibilities that she has another number with her but is not sharing with us," said ACP (crime) Rajesh Kumar.
The victim has reportedly erased the accused's number from her mobile phone. She has also deleted her Facebook profile to ensure police fail to zero in on the man.
The cyber-crime team is going through call detail records (CDR) to identify the accused and talking to the people whom the accused had contacted but have failed to trace him so far.
Police are also browsing through all Facebook profiles related to accused's name David. One of the profiles found on Facebook, which police suspect could be created by someone to mislead the police, showed him bidding goodbye to his friends.
In the profile, a picture of airplane with the status saying 'I am leaving for Nigeria' was found suspicious, said Kumar.
On Friday morning, Gurgaon Police also received a call from the US embassy, enquiring about the incident.
"We informed them about the case. We also told them that the victim had gone with her consent and have provided details of her family," said Kumar.
In her statement to the duty magistrate on Wednesday, the girl requested that no harm be done to the accused.