Gurgaon: Man shot dead in public, no one comes to aid | gurgaon | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gurgaon: Man shot dead in public, no one comes to aid

gurgaon Updated: Oct 29, 2015 12:22 IST
Leena Dhankhar
Leena Dhankhar
Hindustan Times

The man was walking towards the Suncity building when a youth tried to snatch his bag. The two got into a fist fight and the youth pulled out a gun and shot him.(HT Photo)

A 49-year-old man was shot dead and his bag containing Rs. 15 lakh stolen by an unidentified assailant on Wednesday morning in the full sight of several people who did nothing to rescue the man.

Though the two struggled over the bag for almost 10 minutes, none tried to intervene or help the man, the police said. Even after he was shot, no one helped him.

The forensic expert, at civil hospital Dr Deepak Mathur, who conducted the post-mortem examination, said, “The man died due to excessive bleeding.”

The incident took place around 9.15 am in front of Suncity Business Tower on Golf Course Road, the police said.

The victim was identified as Anil Kumar Shukla, a resident of Karawal Nagar in Delhi. He worked as senior executive at Patel Mahendrabhai Somabhai Co., a courier company in Chandni Chowk, Delhi.

According to eyewitnesses, Shukla was walking towards the Suncity building when a youth tried to snatch his bag. Though several men were standing outside the building, no one intervened and tried to help, the police said.

Cab driver Bhupinder Singh, who was an eyewitness, said, “The man and the youth fought for about 10 minutes. The youth was assaulting him and the man was struggling to hold on to his bag, which probably contained cash. After a few minutes, the youth took out a gun and shot the man in the chest. Then he rushed to the road where a motorbike was waiting for him. He got on and the two sped away.”

According to the police, Shukla left his residence around 6.30am and boarded a metro to Gurgaon. He had to return to his office in Delhi with the cash. He reached Gurgaon at 8am and boarded an autorickshaw for Suncity.

“The youth was asking him to let go of the bag or else he would shoot him. But the man did not leave the bag and was shouting for help,” Shamsher Singh, another eyewitness, said.

The police recovered two cartridges from the spot and said the assailant used a .315 bore countrymade revolver.

Deputy commissioner of police (east) Deepak Saharan said, “The investigation is on and we are questioning the businessman from whom Shukla collected the money at 8am on Wednesday. The CCTV footage recovered does not show the crime scene and we are trying to get more footage to identify the accused. He had come to collect a payment on behalf of his employer.”

The body was handed over to the family after the post-mortem.

“We received a call from the Gurgaon police and I could not gather the courage to inform my mother. My father was a simple man and he had no enmity with anyone,” Shukla’s son Vivek said.