Miraculous escape for school kids
It was a narrow escape for 13 students, including eight Koreans, of Lancer International School in DLF City, when fire caused by short circuit broke out in the dormitory of the hostel on Sunday morning.gurgaon Updated: Aug 20, 2012 00:22 IST
It was a narrow escape for 13 students, including eight Koreans, of Lancer International School in DLF City, when fire caused by short circuit broke out in the dormitory of the hostel on Sunday morning.
To control the blaze, four fire tenders were pressed into service. Fire fighters had to break open the window and door to evacuate the students.
In the incident an air-conditioner, LCD and a sofa were damaged. One Korean student suffered minor bruises while being rescued.
At around 7:30am, the fire department received a call from the Lancers International School about a fire incident in one of the rooms on the top floor. Four fire tenders reached the spot immediately and broke the window and door of the two rooms.
Birbal Sharma, fire officer said, “We immediately rushed to the school after we received the call. We had to break the window glass and the main door to take out the children. A short circuit in the air-conditioner led to the fire which spread to the lounge and one LCD TV and sofa were burnt”.
Officials said that the school had fire equipment installed but the staff didn’t know how to operate. “The children got scared and started shouting but luckily we reached on time and rescued them,” added Sharma.
“It was a small fire due to a short circuit, which was controlled in just 15 minutes. All the children are safe and there is nothing to worry. We informed the fire department immediately,” said the school management, requesting anonymity.