Missing Gurgaon police officer was abducted by suspects he was transporting | gurgaon | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 28, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Missing Gurgaon police officer was abducted by suspects he was transporting

Police, who rescued Station House Officer Surender Singh Phogat late on Thursday night, said he was abducted by four suspects he confronted on the road.

gurgaon Updated: Jul 02, 2016 16:20 IST
Rashpal Singh

The Station House Officer in Gurgaon went missing around midday on June 30, and was traced to a village in Uttar Pradesh late at night. He had stopped to question four men he noticed on the road while on his way to a meeting.(Parveen Kumar/HT File Photo)


A Station House Officer (SHO) in Gurgaon who went missing for almost 12 hours, was abducted by four suspects he had picked up on the road, police said on Friday.

SHO Surender Singh Phogat went missing at around 12:30 pm on Thursday when on his way to meet a senior official. Both his personal and official mobile phones were turned off. Police began to suspect something was amiss when Phogat failed to attend a routine 4 pm meeting with the commissioner of police, Navdeep Singh Virk.

Eight hours later, based on a phone call Phogat had made to his family, police traced him to Kosi village in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. He was injured. A case has been registered in Sector 29 police station.

Deputy commissioner of police (East), Deepak Saharan said Phogat had noticed four men standing by the wayside while on his way to Saharan’s office. Suspicious of them, he pulled over the car, a Swift Dzire owned by him, and began questioning the men.

One of them took off running, leading to Phogat detaining two of them while the third called the escaping suspect back. The SHO put them in his car, but was overpowered as he was starting the vehicle.

“Thereafter he was held captive for many hours and taken to a place near Kosi where he was dumped after snatching his mobiles and car. A case in this regard has been registered under appropriate sections of law against unknown culprits at Sushant Lok police station,” said Saharan.

The SHO’s family claimed Phogat managed to speak with his nephew at around 11:30 pm that day. The police then tracked his last location to near Pali village in Faridabad.