A peacock was electrocuted on Wednesday morning after coming in contact with a live electricity wire spread around at tree in a park in Jal Vihar society, Sector 46.
Residents complained to the wildlife department about the incident around 10am.
“We were informed by the residents that they found a dead peacock inside the park,” said Sunder Kaushik, divisional forest officer (wildlife), Gurgaon.
An FIR has been registered at the Sadar Police station regarding the death of the national bird due to an electricity wire.
A postmortem by the wildlife department confirmed on Thursday that the three-year-old bird was electrocuted.
However, wildlife officials said peacocks in rural areas usually die because of consuming crop that has been sprayed with pesticides.
According to residents of Jal Vihar society, there have been many instances of crows and pigeons dying because of live electricity wires around the area’s green belt.
“We have complained to the discom several times about covering the electricity wires around the park and the society, but nothing has been done yet,” said Rajan Munjal, a resident.
In March last year, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) had directed authorities concerned in the national capital region (NCR) to remove high-tension wires around trees.
A bench headed by justice UD Salvi had issued the order stating that power discoms should coordinate with civic authorities concerned in trimming tree branches that touch overhead wires.
On March 23, the tribunal had slammed discoms for putting high-tension cables over trees and had warned of action against their top officials if the wires were not removed. “No ground work has been done even a year after the NGT’s order. These birds are becoming a victim of unplanned urbanisation,” said Amit Chaudhery, environmentalist.