A mishap was averted on Thursday night when a truck caught fire near an Indian Oil petrol pump on Sohna road after coming in contact with loose electric wires.
Staff at Meer Singh petrol pump used safety cylinders to douse the fire. The truck driver, Jamal Khan, suffered a shock and is admitted to the Gurgaon civil hospital. The truck is registered at Jaipur, Rajasthan.
The truck, carrying two-wheelers, was moving towards the petrol pump to refuel when it came in contact with wires and emitted sparks.
The petrol pump is surrounded by a number of residential and commercial buildings. A major tragedy could have taken place if fire was not doused on time.
“High voltage electric wire in front of the petrol pump is open at some spots and got loose after rains. Truck touched the naked wire that led to sparks and tyres caught fire,” a petrol pump staffer said. The incident took place around 12:30am.
The staffer said power discom was informed but no action was initiated so far. “Had the vehicle contained inflammable material, it could have been a disaster,” he said.
Assistant engineer, Sohna road sub division of DHBVN, Liyakat Ali, said the spot will be checked to ascertain the truth.