Water shortage worries Gurgaon residents
About 20 representatives of different resident welfare associations spent their Saturday afternoon pondering over ways to tackle environmental pollution at the Epicentre in Gurgaon ahead of Earth Day on April 22.gurgaon Updated: Apr 21, 2013 02:22 IST
About 20 representatives of different resident welfare associations (RWAs) spent their Saturday afternoon pondering over ways to tackle environmental pollution at the Epicentre in Gurgaon ahead of Earth Day on April 22.
At a presentation organised by Commonfloor.com, a real estate portal, four speakers sensitised residents about the adverse affects of pollution and suggested effective ways to mitigate its impact. The main topic of discussion was water shortage and water pollution.
With nearly 70% of the city’s water coming from tubewells and the remaining 30% from the Haryana Urban Development Association (Huda) and the Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon (MCG), the residents fear perennial shortage in the summers.
“There are around 30,000 tubewells in Gurgaon. But, the city is based on hard rock, which indicates that the deeper you dig in, the lesser water you get. Studies have also revealed that by 2015, there will be no water in these tubewells,” said Nitya Jacob, a development and communications professional.
“Residential complexes or societies should use chemical water softeners to purify the water for the entire building,” he added.
Pragya Kuchhal, a resident of Sector 23, said, “If roads are laid properly, half of the problem of air pollution will be solved.” Anju Goel, a researcher at TERI, spoke on improving air quality in apartments and emphasised the need to keep plants.
According to Neha Kumar, a radiation specialist, the presence of mobile towers in residential areas gives rise to a host of health problems like headaches, joint pains, memory problems, miscarriages, fatigue and sometimes even cancer.
“Huda, MCG and the deputy commissioner are working in three different directions. We need one single authority that can look into our problems. Moreover, like Delhi, Gurgaon needs a Jal Board for proper distribution of water to all sectors,” said RS Rathee, president of Gurgaon Citizens’ Council.