7 ways to tackle bhang hangover
Holi may be a good excuse to down a glass or two of the quintessential bhangsherbet, but do remember that consuming bhang can give you a nasty hangover too, and you might end up spending the rest of the day with a...health and fitness Updated: Mar 27, 2013 00:43 IST
Holi may be a good excuse to down a glass or two of the quintessential bhang sherbet, but do remember that consuming bhang can give you a nasty hangover too, and you might end up spending the rest of the day with a churning stomach and a throbbing headache. “Bhang, made with the leaves of the cannabis plant, contains a chemical called endocannabinoids that instantly acts on the nerves. One starts to feel euphoric, but this lasts only for a few hours, after which starts the hangover. Always stick to a small dose. A paste of 10-15 leaves is safe for two glasses of sherbet,” says nutritionist Neelanjana Singh of Heinz Nutri Life Clinic. Also, bhang works faster on empty stomach so eat something filling before you consume bhang. Here’s a great way to fight the hangover in case it refuses to go:
Important tips to keep in mind:
1. Detoxify: Detoxifying your system is very important after consuming bhang. “Have lots of green and herbal tea that’s packed with antioxidants,” says Dr Rommel Tickoo of internal medicine at Max Super Speciality hospital.
2. Gulp down fluids: Be it plain water or lemonade, keep drinking lots of fluids. “Fluids will help get rid of the toxins from your body. Lemonade will help reduce the vomiting tendency,” says Singh.
3. Feed on fresh fruits: Have loads of fresh fruit juices. “The fructose and sugar content in fruit juices will energise you and help you rejuvenate,” says Dr Tickoo.
4. Get a good sleep: Sleep is the best medicine to tackle a hangover. It will also help you get rid of the headache and weakness.
5. Avoid painkillers: Never resort to painkillers to get rid of a hangover headache. Painkillers may cause acidity and, in turn, aggravate the nausea.
6. Avoid fried snacks: Consuming bhang triggers appetite but do not binge on deep fried snacks if you have a hangover. Fried food may cause further acidity and gastritis, and increase the toxins in your system. Instead, opt for green salads and fruits.
7. Don’t drive: This isn’t a way to combat hangover but a way to avoid an accident post a hangover. Study says that accidents are most common within three hours of driving after consuming bhang.