Delhi car deaths: Here's what you should know about carbon monoxide poisoning | health and fitness | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 26, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Delhi car deaths: Here's what you should know about carbon monoxide poisoning

It is suspected that the three men who died in a car in Delhi on Monday died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning due to the gas from the AC. We take a look at what Carbon Monoxide poisoning is all about and what you can do to prevent it.

health and fitness Updated: Jul 22, 2014 17:09 IST
HT Correspondent

Three men were found dead in a car in south Delhi on Monday in a suspected case of gas poisoning. Police believe they were sitting with the car's engine and AC running, and lost consciousness.

It is suspected that three subsequently died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to the gas from the AC. We take a look at what carbon monoxide poisoning is all about and what you can do to prevent it:


• Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless and odourless gas found in incomplete combustion fumes, such as those made by cars and trucks, lanterns, stoves, gas ranges and heating systems.

• CO from these fumes can build up in places that don't have a good flow of fresh air – such as cars with windows rolled up, closed rooms, kitchens and garages etc - and cause poisoning.

• Common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion before loss of consciousness and death.

• People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

• If you suspect that you are experiencing CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately.

• People with symptoms should be rushed to a hospital Emergency.

How to avoid CO poisoning

• Never leave a car running in a garage even with the garage door open.

• Never run a generator inside your home or garage. Opening doors and windows or using fans will NOT prevent CO build-up inside your the home.

• When running a generator outdoors, keep it away from open windows and doors.

• Don’t burn coal – stoves, fireplaces - inside closed rooms.

• Never use a gas range, oven, or dryer for heating.

• Never operate an unvented gas-burning appliance in a closed room or in a room in which you are sleeping.


(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)