Pollution, constant stress and gorging on junk food can age you faster, leading to premature wrinkles and greying of hair. Here are a few simple healthy eating tips that will help you slow down ageing. From increasing your antioxidants to eating more fruits, one can keep a count of a few diet tips to stay young.
* Increase antioxidants: Antioxidants play an important role in reducing inflammation, repairing damaged cells and restoring balance throughout the body. These actions aid in prevention of chronic disease such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer. They also aid in reducing the signs of ageing by repairing damage to the skin from sun and pollutants, thereby improving skin elasticity.
* Increase antioxidants by: Eating more fruits, like berries and citrus fruits and vegetables like leafy greens and squashes.
* Take a quality, natural supplement containing antioxidant rich plant extracts.
* Maintain a balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids: The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids is important for reducing inflammation in the body, supporting cognitive function and for maintaining cellular energy levels.
* Reduce processed, refined foods and takeaways in your diet. Eat fresh oily fish like wild salmon, mackerel, haddock and sardines three or more times a week.
* Cook with coconut oil as an alternative to butter, margarine and other oils. Eat balanced meals and snacks regularly.
* Research has found that excess insulin can speed the ageing process and create inflammation in your body.
* Balance insulin and blood sugar levels by eating meals with a combination of complex carbohydrates, quality vegetarian or lean animal proteins, and antioxidant rich vegetables.
* Have quality snacks between meals, such as hummus with vegetables or oatcakes, to maintain energy and balance insulin levels. Reduce stimulants like coffee which increase insulin production.
* Exercise regularly: Exercise not only aids in weight management but it supports your body with improving energy production, immune function and bone density. Increase your exercise throughout the day by taking a brisk 20 minute walk each day. Opt to use the stairs or walking to your destinations when you can. Incorporate resistance training into your regime such as yoga, pilates or weights.
* Get adequate sleep and rest.