Eat tofu for lean mass
Do you crave for a perfect body with well toned muscles? Find out the techniques to build muscles with a balanced diet and right exercise routine.health and fitness Updated: Oct 21, 2010 16:05 IST
I am 20 years old, 5’8” tall and weigh 52 kg. I want to build muscles but since I work in a BPO, I don’t get time to work out. Please suggest a whey protein supplement.
According to your height and age, your weight should be 70-72 kg. The reasons for being underweight are chronic diseases, eating disorders and a lack of physical activity.
Try these techniques:
* Consume more calories than you burn. Eat healthy foods and beverages to add calories.
* Eat food frequently, 5-6 times a day — three large meals and three small meals alternately. Separate them by three hours.
* Have a balanced diet.
* Exercise regularly for healthy weight gain. Eating alone or taking supplements is not sufficient. You don't want to gain fat but lean mass, so exercise is important. Resistance training, too, will help you gain muscle mass.
* Protein is the key to muscle mass. Without adequate protein, muscle gain isn’t possible because weight training demands amino acids. You should eat about 1-1.5 gm of protein per kilogram of your weight, on a daily basis.
* Good sources of protein are low fat milk, curd, paneer, dal, pulses, egg whites, chicken, fish, tofu, soya chunks and nuts.
* Complex carbohydrates are also needed. It is also important to stay hydrated. Drinking at least 10-12 glasses of water daily.
Leena Mogre is the director of Leena Mogre Fitness and is an aerobics, power yoga and weight training expert. Her panel, comprising Dr Rakesh Nair (orthopaedics and sports medicine), Jaya Hiranandani (nutritionist), Kalpesh Vinerkar (exercise and sports training), Nikhil Mogre (sports specialist) and Rupali Gujar (diet and nutrition) will answer your questions.
Email your health queries to firstname.lastname@example.org