From the pantry: Strawberry
HT48HRS_Special Updated: Jan 07, 2016 16:00 IST
Sweet, and sour, and filled with all the goodness from Mother Nature, strawberries work best with all kinds of desserts. The fruit is a great source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and perfect for those looking to cut down on calories. In this edition, our expert chef uses strawberries in a healthy salad, while our winning reader recipe incorporates the fruit in a dessert.
Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberries and Granola Croutons
Recipe by: Nitin Mongia Executive Chef, Kiki’s Cuisine (Mumbai and Alibaug)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Kale leaves: 200g
- Fresh strawberries (sliced): 10
- Granola bar (coarsely crushed): 1
- Feta cheese (diced): 50g
- Strawberry crush: 5 tbsp
- Balsamic vinegar: 3 tbsp
- Olive oil: 3 tbsp
- Cracked black pepper: for seasoning
- Chop the kale leaves into small pieces.
- Massage the leaves (with your hands) in some salt to get rid of the bitterness, it also helps retain its colour. Wash thoroughly and dry in a salad spinner.
- Put all ingredients for the dressing in a bottle, shake well till emulsified.
- Put the Kale leaves in a bowl, drizzle some dressing and mix the leaves well.
- Top with fresh strawberries, feta and croutons, and serve immediately.
Winning reader recipe: No Bake Strawberry Oreo Cheesecake
Recipe by: Hetali Shah
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Oreo biscuits: 14 to 16
- Butter (melted): 3 tbsp
- Whipped cream: 125ml
- Cream cheese: 50g
- Powdered sugar: 3 tbsp
- Vanilla essence: few drops
- Chopped strawberries: 4 to 5
- Crushed strawberries: 4 to 5
- Crush the biscuits (with the cream intact).
- Fold in the melted butter.
- In a baking tray, spread the mixture evenly with a spatula to form the base.
- Put the container in a refrigerator to allow the mixture to set.
- Beat the whipped cream till it doubles in volume and forms peaks.
- In another bowl, mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla essence and beat it with electrical mixer.
- Add this to the whipped cream.
- Now fold in the strawberries (crushed and chopped) to the mixture.
- Spread it evenly on top of the base. Make sure it does not spill out.
- Refrigerate till the cheesecake sets.
For the next edition of From The Pantry, email us recipes made using APRICOT (send a high-res photo of your dish, a photo of yourself, along with your name, address and contact number) at email@example.com. The best recipe wins an exciting prize.