Here's why you should have cinnamon
Cinnamon or dalchini is a spice that has many wonderful qualities. Cinnamon is the sweet bark of the cinnamon tree. Not only does it add flavour to food, it is also considered medicinally beneficial.health and fitness Updated: Mar 20, 2010 17:07 IST
is a spice that has many wonderful qualities. Cinnamon is the sweet bark of the Cinnamon tree. Not only does it add flavour to food, it is also considered medicinally beneficial.
1. Cinnamon is a great mouth freshener. If you have dental caries, you can chew a small piece of cinnamon to act upon the bacteria and control infections. Plus, it freshens your breath.
2. It is good for diabetics because it stabilises blood sugar thanks to its effects on the hormone insulin. Boil 2gm of cinnamon powder or its equivalent in a stick in 300ml water. Reduce this decoction till it’s about 200ml. Drink this early in the morning on an empty stomach and repeat at 4 in the afternoon.
3. Taken as a decoction, cinnamon controls gas production and build-up in the intestines. Drink the decoction while it is warm.
4. It controls nausea among pregnant women and children. It’s mild, so it can be used frequently, but should be taken in moderation in the hot season.
5. Breads baked with cinnamon have a longer shelf life and the same applies to other foods.
6. Urinary tract infections are very common among women and cinnamon can help prevent and control them. Take it as a decoction or use it in food.
7. Add cinnamon powder to your face pack to control acne infections.
8. If you suffer from arthritis with inflammation, take cinnamon as a decoction and in your food. The application of oils with added cinnamon can be useful.
9. It has anti-clotting properties, so it’s beneficial if you have deep vein thrombosis. Take it in your food.
10. It also controls cholesterol build-up.