Home remedies to cure blocked ear bouts
Ever had your ears in pain while on an aircraft or during a bad cold? Or have you woken up with a decreased hearing sensation? Then you’re experiencing a bout of Blocked Ears.health and fitness Updated: Dec 20, 2011 00:55 IST
Ever had your ears in pain while on an aircraft or during a bad cold? Or have you woken up with a decreased hearing sensation? Then you’re experiencing a bout of Blocked Ears.
Occuring mainly due to obstruction in the ear canal or Eustachian tube, the reason may also be earwax secretions, and improper use of ear buds could push it inside, causing a blockage.
Foreign bodies that accidentally enter the ear canal could cause obstructions, or an inflammation of the tiny sinuses around the ears and excessive production of mucous may be responsible.
The change in air pressure during a flight is another common reason. But this is temporary and declines on landing. In rare cases, blockage may even be due to an intolerance to milk.
One must stop consuming milk during an ear infection, if any lactose intolerance is experienced.
1. For blocked ears due to a severe cold or throat infection, consume foods like garlic, chillies, bell peppers, onions, radish or jalapenos, or drink warm soups, broths, and teas for the same effect.
2. Steam inhalation with a few drops of eucalyptus oil or lavender oil helps a lot.
3. Sugar-free chewing gums or lozenges can be consumed while on an aircraft.
4. In case of severe or prolonged cases, physicians normally advise oral decongestants, nasal spray antihistamines, topical nasal steroids or ventilation tubes.
Blocked ears usually fall under the Invisible Disabilities condition and does not get the attention it needs. It is usually a reversible condition and gets corrected on its own, but if the problem or the pain persists for long, medical attention is advised.
What to eat:
1. Reduce intake of non-veg
2. Drink a glass of vegetable juice everyday
3. Eat half a raw onion per meal and include radish in your salad
4. Take half a tsp of methi seeds
5. If you’re constipated, eat more raw vegetables.
6. Take 1 table spoon Isabgol in your diet.
7. Avoid milk and milk products
8. Eat sweet lime, oranges, pears, apple, papaya, pineapple, black grapes.
Dr. Anjali Mukerjee, Nutritionist and Founder, Director — Health Total.