How to avoid bad dreams
Do you get nightmares frequently? Read on to know some ways to avoid bad dreams.health and fitness Updated: Sep 17, 2010 08:22 IST
1. Relax before bedtime: Meditate, take a hot bath, drink herbal tea or do mild stretching exercises before you go to bed. A lukewarm glass of milk also helps.
2. Clear your mind of worries: Make a list of problems and possible solutions, and then look at them the next day. Never over-stress yourself just before your sleep. Try to think positive.
3. No violence on TV: Avoid watching the evening news, horror movies or movies with graphic violence right before bed. Soothing music also helps in undisturbed sleep.
4. Eat light: Eat a light snack such as milk or yoghurt. Both contain calcium and tryptophan, which can have a relaxing effect. Avoid coffee and tea during night time, as caffeine can adversely affect your sleeping pattern.
5. Say no to fat: Avoid fatty and spicy foods, which could cause gas and, in turn, nightmares.
6. Quit smoking: Too much of nicotine is bad for the health. Nicotine has been linked to certain sleep disorders.
7. No overdose: Stop using any drugs that are not essential to your health and well-being.
8. Talk it over: If you have lost a loved one, try talking about your feelings to someone. If you do not have a friend or loved one that you feel comfortable discussing your feelings with, then make arrangements to see a professional. It can really make a difference in how you feel emotionally, and help you get rid of the bad dreams.