Nutrition can fight cancer
Most degenerative diseases, including cancer, are caused by a collection of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors that accumulate over many years.health and fitness Updated: Aug 21, 2012 17:16 IST
Most degenerative diseases, including cancer, are caused by a collection of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors that accumulate over many years. To add to this, the stress of day-to-day living creates more acid states in our body. Cancer is the final outcome of an acidic environment. The root cause of all types of cancer is a lack of oxygen caused by over acidification of the tissues. When we are well rested, well exercised, well nourished and mentally at peace, the body gets rid of acid waste products, leading to an alkaline environment that prevents tumour growth.
Newer evidence suggests that cancer growth can be slowed and even reversed under the right conditions. More than 40 per cent of cancer patients die of malnutrition and not from cancer. Most cancer treatments lower the appetite and cause nutritional deficiencies. No one can fight a life threatening disease by being malnourished. Also, today we consume far more toxins from air, water, food, mental stress and our environment than ever before. So if toxins are the problem, then detoxification is the obvious solution.
Get rid of the toxins:
Our body works non stop to detoxify itself, otherwise we would die. But when we put more toxins in our body (physical and mental) than it can handle, the body slows down. Also, some of us don’t detox as fast as others and there is a build up of toxins. Eventually, the accumulation of these cellular waste products overwhelms the cells and they begin to starve and die. To prevent this, you need to stop consuming toxins. Then you need to feed your body live food full of antioxidants and enzymes which strengthen the immune systems and destroy tumour cells.
If a person is undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, nutrition therapy is essential to arrest malnutrition. This ensures less weakness, less nausea, less hair loss, immune suppression and less toxicity. Antioxidant vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, co-enzyme Q10, lycopene, carotenoids, etc. help minimise damage to the patient’s vital organs. They also bolster the immune systems, which improve chances of fighting cancer.
The right diet:
* Drink wheat grass juice regularly.
* Drink at least two glasses of carrot juice everyday.
* In addition, drink one glass of apple juice and one glass of red cabbage juice everyday.
* Consume lots of garlic, onion and mustard.
* Herbs like astragalus, echinacea, and ginseng help you recover.
* Take extra vitamin C daily.
* Eat some curd and also take a probiotic supplement. The friendly bacteria helps to feed the immune system via the lining of the intestine. Many health problems result from ‘dysbiosis’ of the gut.
* Eat more fibre in the form of whole grain, sprouts, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.
* Avoid white sugar completely.
* Drink plenty of clean water and make sure you pass motions everyday.
* Practice deep breathing exercises everyday.
* Consider switching to a raw food diet. It is very beneficial for cancer patients.
Remember that cancer cannot invade a healthy body. Make your body healthy so that the cancer simply goes away.
Dr Anjali Mukerjee is a nutritionist and the founder of Health Total, a nutrition counselling centre.