RECIPE: Try a DIY orange soup this weekend
This easy and healthy orange recipe is sure to lift your spiritsHT48HRS_Special Updated: Sep 17, 2016 15:51 IST
Did you know that oranges not only offer instant energy but are great mood enhancers? Known for its healing properties and an abundance of Vitamin C, orange is known to protect your heart. In this edition, our expert chef combines oranges with fresh vegetables to make a hearty soup.
What: Subz santre ka shorba (Orange and vegetable soup)
Recipe by: Mukhtar Qureshi, master chef, Neel – Indian Kitchen + Bar
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Serves: Four
Ghee: 40g; Onion (diced): 50g; Carrot (diced): 50g
Spring onion (chopped): 60g; French beans (chopped): 70g
Malta orange (peeled and sliced): 8; Curd: 80g
Turmeric: A pinch; Orange juice: 60ml
Black peppercorn: To taste; Nutmeg: 1; Fennel: 10g
Cream: 100ml; Rose water: 1 tsp; Kewra water (pandan): 1 tsp
Salt: to taste; Ginger: 10g; Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp
Saffron: 0.5g; Yellow chilli powder: 10g
• Warm ghee in a soup pan and add the onions. Sauté for a few minutes.
• Add carrots and sauté till they begin to soften.
• Add all the other vegetables and cook over moderate heat for a few minutes.
• Add in the chopped spring onion and ginger and saute for 5 minutes.
• Add the sliced oranges and cook for a few minutes.
• Add the curd and mix well. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add water and spices.
• Strain the mixture. Puree the pulp, and cook it separately for 5 minutes.
• Stir in the cream, and let it simmer for less than a minute.
ALSO READ: From the pantry: Mushrooms
For the next edition of From The Pantry, email us recipes made using OATS (send a high-res photo of your dish, a photo of yourself, along with your name, address and contact number) to email@example.com The best recipe wins an exciting prize. By: September 28