A fairly recent addition to our veggie vocabulary, the avocado has garnered quite a few fans (especially among health freaks) over the past couple of years. Known for its many nutritional qualities, the fruit has abundance of vitamins C, E and K. Avocado contains healthy fats, and can be added to all kinds of dishes – from salads to toasts, even desserts. In this edition, our expert chef whips up a cabbage and avocado maki roll and our winning reader recipe gives it a sweet and savoury twist.
Nappa HakuSai (Cabbage and avocado roll)
Recipe by Chef Venecio Cadavida, Japanese chef, Dashanzi, JW Marriott, Juhu
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Wasabi powder: ½ tsp
Soy sauce: 1 tbsp
Gari (pickled vegetable): 1 tbsp
Chinese cabbage: 4 leaves
White asparagus: 1
Takuwan stick: 1
Turnip: 1 slice
Hand full of mixed cress
1. Peel the turnips and cut it in batons.
2. Peel avocado and cut to batons.
3. Caramelise the sliced onions and blanch the white asparagus.
4. Blanch the Chinese cabbage and arrange the same to form a sheet.
5. Arrange the vegetables, cress on the cabbage sheet and roll the maki (roll) with the help of makisu (bamboo mat).
6. Torch the roll with blow torch to get a charred flavour
7. Cut the roll equally and serve with wasabi, soya sauce and gari
Winning reader recipe