A bad mood can be a killer. The sooner you get out of it, the better. But as we all know, this is not easy. Sometimes the mood can last for hours, if not days.
There is one sure-shot way to change the way you feel, say psychologists. Fake a good mood. "Carrying yourself with confidence can put you in a more confident mood. Even a fake smile can actually make you feel happier," says Delhi-based consultant psychologist Dr Vasudha Singh. "After you put on a smile a couple of times, it will soon become genuine, and your mood will have changed."
Another certain way to get rid of your bad mood is to vent it out, say experts. "Get it out of your system by any means – write it out in a diary or blog, talk it out with friends, even have an argument," says Dr Mamta Singla, consultant psychologist, Artemis Health Institute, Gurgaon. "Often, this relaxes the mind and works as a big mood changer."
Both these methods work, but they are not instant mood changers. Here are some quick ways to lift yourself out of that bad mood.
1. Remember fun times: Think of good times, fun you’ve had with friends and family. Take a look at your pictures on Facebook, click on your chat history to relive hilarious conversations you had while you were supposed to be working, remember evenings at the park when you were a child. "These are serious mood lifters," says banker Sanjeev Shah.
2. Head for comfort food: Your nutritionist may throw a tantrum, but comfort food is called comfort food because it does precisely that. "It always works for me," says corporate executive Shikha Dutta. "I eat junk food and that makes me feel happy." Agrees Dr Singh, "Comfort eating makes you feel better. Especially sweet things – the sugar gives you energy and an instant feeling of liveliness."
3. Get a head massage: Being touched generates a feeling of being pampered. "A head massage is not as physical as a body massage, but it is intimate and gives you comfort," says Dr Singla. "And of course, a champi always clears the head too!"
4. Dress up: So what if you’re not going anywhere. Open up your wardrobe and get into your nicest clothes. Because when you look good, you feel good. "It’s an instant reaction," says Delhi-based consultant psychologist and lifestyle expert Dr Dev Bhatnagar. "When you pick out your favourite colours, styles, fabrics, footwear and other accessories, your mind automatically moves into a happy space."
5. Get into the kitchen: Not a great cook? Never mind. Just put together something – anything. Even a sandwich! "Cooking often diverts and de-stresses your mind," says Dr Bhatnagar. "And this is especially helpful if you aren’t a great cook. Doing something new generates a feeling of adventure and accomplishment. It is a great high."
- From HT Brunch, May 29
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch