Your guide to fitness
As we settle into the new year, we bring you some simple and sustainable methods that will bring you a year of health and happiness. Read on for the complete guide to fitness and well being.health and fitness Updated: Jan 02, 2010 16:51 IST
* Eat lighter dinners with soup, vegetable dalia, brown rice poha, etc.
* Drink hot water through the day.
* Reduce consumption of cheese and heavy cream.
* Eat healthy food rather than pre-packaged food. Try makki roti, sarson da sag, til, gur, almonds, walnuts, carrot-tomato-beetroot juice, mixed vegetable soup, stuffed parathas made with minimal oil, etc.
* Eat better breakfasts.
* Eat more high-fibre foods – oats, brown rice, dalia, dal with its chhilka.
* Include lots of green leafy vegetables in subzis.
* Concentrate on your food when you eat, so you can truly experience its taste.
* Do two-minute pranayams and five rounds of suryanamaskar every day.
* Eat more fruits everyday
* Aim to be positive – by being in the company of cheerful people; by reading books that force us to introspect; by getting away from people, objects or habits that bring you down.
* Accept your flaws with grace and stop the blame game. Sometimes only the deepest portion of your subconscious mind is aware of the games you play, but the ego refuses to accept that it may not be healthy for us to indulge in such actions or behaviours
* Accept yourself. Being aware about your shortcomings does not give you the right to think negatively about yourself. It is very important to respect yourself and have value for your own self.
* Make small healthy changes that are sustainable. We make large promises to ourselves, which even with the best of intentions we cannot logically achieve. The promises we make to ourselves should come from inner wisdom and not our egos.
* Make eating a joyful activity and enjoy the food you eat. Which means treating food as a way to nourish your mind and body.
* Learn new skills or sharpen existing skills – both personal and professional skills.
* Reward yourself for accomplishments.
* Look for constructive solutions rather than negative analysis.
* Aim for some silence every day. Non-stop chatter makes your intuitive capacity come down.
* Respect time. It is very difficult to compensate for lost time. Time is a currency we waste easily.