Low serum calcium might increase the risk of cardiac arrest, suggests study | health | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 19, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Low serum calcium might increase the risk of cardiac arrest, suggests study

Calcium is known to be one of the most important parts of our diet and if we do not take it a balanced manner, it can be responsible for many deficiencies in our bodies.

health Updated: Oct 06, 2017 12:46 IST
Calcium is known to be one of the most important parts of our diet and if we do not take it in a balanced manner, it can be responsible for many deficiencies in our bodies.
Calcium is known to be one of the most important parts of our diet and if we do not take it in a balanced manner, it can be responsible for many deficiencies in our bodies.(Shutterstock)

Calcium is known to be one of the most important parts of our diet and if we do not take it in a balanced manner, it can be responsible for many deficiencies in our bodies.

Now, according to a new study, it has been found that individuals with lower levels of calcium in the blood, are more likely to experience sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) than those with higher calcium levels. Around 99% of the total body calcium is in the bones and the remaining 1% is in the extracellular space.

Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is fatal for over 90 % of patients, and more than half of men and close to 70 % of women who die of SCA have no clinical history of heart disease prior to this cardiac event.

It is one of the leading causes of death in the United States and kills more people than any single cancer. Many patients who suffer SCA would not be considered high risk under current guidelines. Lead investigator Sumeet S. Chugh, MD, Pauline and Harold Price Chair in Cardiac

Electrophysiology, Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute, Los Angeles, CA, said, “Our study found that serum calcium levels were lower in individuals who had a sudden cardiac arrest than in a control group. Patients with serum calcium in the lowest quartile (<8.95 mg/dL) had twice the odds of sudden cardiac arrest compared to those in the highest quartile (>9.55 mg/dL), even after controlling for multiple patient characteristics including demographics, cardiovascular risk factors and comorbidities, and medication use.”

Data from 2002 until 2015 were gathered from the Oregon Sudden Unexpected Death Study (Oregon SUDS). The goal of the Oregon SUDS is to improve understanding of who is at risk for out-of-hospital sudden cardiac arrest.

This study included 267 SCA cases and 445 control subjects whose serum calcium levels were measured during routine medical care. All SCA cases had had serum calcium levels measured in the 90 days prior to their cardiac arrest.

The Oregon SUDS collaborates with emergency responders and hospitals in the Portland, OR metro area to identify all cases of sudden cardiac arrest. This enabled researchers to collect comprehensive patient medical history from the time prior to their cardiac arrest.

Each patient’s total serum calcium was corrected by their serum albumin level to estimate a more physiologically relevant corrected calcium level. SCA cases had a significantly higher percentage of African Americans and patients with diabetes mellitus, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and chronic kidney disease compared to the control group.

Cases were also more likely than controls to be on hemodialysis. In addition, diuretics, especially loop diuretics, were prescribed more for cases than for controls with no differences in the rate of utilization of beta blockers.

Dr. Chugh noted, “Overall, it seems that further study is required to elucidate the mechanisms underlying the adverse associations with lower calcium levels and to determine whether controlling calcium levels improves the prognosis in the general population or in high-risk patients.” In India too, the intake of serum calcium is very low.

Hirad Yarmohammadi, MD, MPH, postdoctoral fellow at Cedars-Sinai, currently training in the Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA, explained, “Our study showed that lower serum calcium levels, even within the normal range of values, may increase risk for sudden cardiac death. Although our findings may not be ready for routine clinical use in patients at this time, they are a step towards the goal of improving patient care by better prediction of risk.”

While these results should be interpreted with caution, Dr. Lee recommends that (1) serum calcium levels should be examined and followed longitudinally more carefully, (2) low serum calcium levels may be considered a potential risk factor for SCA in the community, and (3) more research is necessary to determine whether patients in the lowest quartile of serum calcium would benefit from higher dietary calcium intake or calcium supplementation. The study was published in journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings.

Follow @htlifeandstyle for more