A year on, controversy continues to cling to Ghostbusters with a vice-like grip | hollywood | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 28, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

A year on, controversy continues to cling to Ghostbusters with a vice-like grip

Days after star of the original Ghostbusters slammed director of reboot Paul Feig, Sony Pictures came to Feig’s defence.

hollywood Updated: Jun 07, 2017 19:01 IST
Paul Feig, director of the film Ghostbusters, appears at the Sony Pictures Entertainment presentation at CinemaCon 2016, in Las Vegas.
Paul Feig, director of the film Ghostbusters, appears at the Sony Pictures Entertainment presentation at CinemaCon 2016, in Las Vegas. (Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

Sony Pictures Entertainment is backing the director of 2016’s Ghostbusters remake, Paul Feig, after Dan Aykroyd criticized him for spending too much money on the film to make it worthwhile for Sony to make a sequel.

Without mentioning Feig’s name, Aykroyd said on the British chat show Sunday Brunch this week that Feig didn’t want to shoot scenes Aykroyd and others told him were necessary. He said the scenes were eventually added as reshoots and cost the production an additional $30 million to $40 million, making a sequel “economically not feasible.”

While he said he was pleased with the reboot of the franchise that starred Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, Aykroyd suggested Sony wouldn’t be eager again to work with Feig, who directed comedy hits Bridesmaids and The Heat.

“He will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon,” Aykroyd said.

Dan Aykroyd attends the world premiere of Get On Up in New York. During an appearance on British chat show Sunday Brunch, Aykroyd criticized the director last year’s Ghostbusters remake for spending too much money to make the film. (Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

Sony Pictures took issue with Aykroyd’s comments in a statement to The Associated Press on Tuesday, putting the cost of the reshoots at $3 million to $4 million.

“Sony has a strong relationship with Paul Feig, and we have incredible respect for his work,” spokeswoman Jean Guerin said.

Sony Pictures hasn’t said whether there will be a sequel to Ghostbusters. The company does say that “Ghostbusters” television and family projects are in the works.

Aykroyd co-wrote and starred in the original Ghostbusters film and its 1989 sequel. He served as an executive producer for the remake.

Follow @htshowbiz for more