Channing Tatum's Gambit hits yet another snag: Director quits

  • PTI, Los Angeles
  • Updated: Sep 17, 2015 14:25 IST
Rupert Wyatt drops out of Gambit. (Shutterstock/Twitter)

Director Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) has exited the Channing Tatum-starrer Gambit for being unable to meet the new schedule.

The film went through a change of script and a production push-back, resulting in a conflicting schedule for the 42-year-old Rise of the Planet of the Apes director, reported Deadline.

The project was first introduced in June last year by 35-year-old Tatum, who finalised the deal to star as the card-throwing superhero in August this year.

The script was later changed, resulting in rising budget and longer shoot. Production was initially scheduled to start in November but has been delayed until March 2016.

"I was very much looking forward to working with my friend Channing and the team at Fox, but regrettably a push in the start date now conflicts with another project," Wyatt said in a statement.

"I thank them for the opportunity and I know that Gambit will make a terrific film." He did not say what the other project was.

Fox is apparently still committed to the film and will find a replacement soon.

Gambit is scheduled to be released on October 7, 2016 and Tatum's character is expected to join the X-Men universe in the future.

Josh Zetumer wrote the screenplay based on a treatment by the character's co-creator Chris Claremont.


Rogue Nation's Rebecca Furguson, Spectre's Lea Seydoux up for Gambit?

also read

Channing Tatum bashes his own movie, says he
Show comments