It has been 19 years since the first Harry Potter book hit stands. The Pottermania is back. The official eighth installment of the Harry Potter series will be released on July 31. The fans of the fantasy series or Potterheads are rejoicing.
From planning Harry Potter-themed parties to book readings and workshops, there is a lot you can participate in, in the city. And if you are curious about the Potter Universe, here are some quick points to help understand the phenomenon.
•The Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the official eighth instalment in the seven-book series of Harry Potter. It’s the published script of the play. It has become the most preordered book of 2016.
•It’s a two-part West End stage play written by Jack Thorne, based on a story by author J. K. Rowling. A preview of the play has happened in London, but the play opens in London and US at the end of the month.
•The eighth book takes from where the seventh, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow ends. The official storyline is: Harry Potter is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children. While Harry grapples with a past, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted.
•Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone was the first book of the series.
•The last four books consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history.
•Within 24 hours of the release, the seventh book sold about 11 million copies in the United States alone.
•Apparently, the book was rejected was 12 publishing houses before Bloomsbury’s London office accepted it.
• JK Rowling, the author of the series was fighting it difficult to make ends meet before her first book. Today, she is the United Kingdom’s best-selling living author, and perhaps the only billionaire author.
•The series has sold over 450 million copies worldwide, are distributed in more than 200 territories, are translated into 79 languages, and have been turned into eight blockbuster films.
•In the films, Hermione Granger is played by Hollywood actor Emma Watson. In the play, the character is portrayed by Noma Dumezweni, which led to some people reacting negatively to a non-white person playing the role.
• The films have actor Daniel Radcliffe playing Harry Potter; and actor Ron Weasley portraying Rupert Grint.
• According to a study from the University of Pennsylvania, Americans who read or watch Harry Potter have a lower opinion of Donald Trump.
Events in Delhi
• Srishti Chaudhary is organising a 10-session workshop on literary critique of Harry Potter in Hauz Khas Village. For more information, write to email@example.com
• You can participate in quizes around the Harry Potter series and win cool gifts as well as buy books at this Gurgoan bookstore. Find out more on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KoolSkoolBookstore/
• This cafe in Shahpur Jat is hosting ‘Harry Potter and the Fragrant Latte’, an evening of board games, coffee, cosplay and magical conversations to bring together fans on 31st July to toast the launch of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. To know more, visit the facebook page: Know more: https://www.facebook.com/events/1210227835675710/