Oz the Great and Powerful, the 3-D prequel to the beloved 1939 classic The Wizard of Oz, raked in an incredible 80.3 million dollars and capture the No. 1 slot in weekend ticket sales.
The fantasy-adventure movie, starring James Franco, is now on track to recoup its 200 million dollars production cost in barely a month, the New York Daily News reported.
Jack the Giant Slayer another mega-budget, 3-D movie, which is based on a classic fable was able to grab the No. 2 spot with 10 million dollar earnings.
Identity Thief managed 6.3 million dollars and came in at third spot, while revenge drama Dead Man Down, came in at fourth place with 5.3 million dollars on its opening weekend.
Wrestler turned actor Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson's crime thriller Snitch, was able to bag only the fifth spot with 5.1 million dollars.
Top movies for weekend:
1. Oz The Great And Powerful - 80.278 million dollars
2. Jack The Giant Slayer - 10.020 million dollars
3. Identity Thief - 6.3 million dollars
4. Dead Man Down - 5.35 million dollars
5. Snitch - 5.1 million dollars
6. 21and Over - 5.0 million dollars
7. Safe Haven - 3.8 million dollars
8. Silver Linings Playbook - 3.745 million dollars
9. Escape from Planet Earth - 3.2 million dollars
10. The Last Exorcism, Part II - 3.12 million dollars