What's new: Scooby-Doo to return to the big screen

  • PTI, Los Angeles
  • Updated: Aug 18, 2015 15:25 IST
The film is slated for September 21, 2018.

Good news for Scooby-Doo Fans! An animated Scooby-Doo film is being developed by Warner Bros.

Tony Cervone, an Emmy-nominated animation veteran, who already has experience having directed several straight-to-own movies in the lucrative franchise, is helming the feature, said The Hollywood Reporter.

Charles Roven and Richard Suckle, who previously produced the studio's live-action Scooby movies, Scooby-Doo (2002) and 2004's Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, are producing along with Allison Abbate.

Abbate, wife of Cervone, brings a lot of animation expertise to the table, with credits including The Iron Giant, The Fantastic Mr Fox and the Tim Burton movies Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie.

Dan Povenmire, the co-creator of the cartoon Phineas and Ferb, is also involved in a creative capacity and will exec produce.

Warners, which will release the movie under its Warner Animation Group banner, is hoping the movie leads to a series of movies featuring characters from the stable of Hanna-Barbera animated cartoon series of the same name that ruled TV in the 1960s and early 1970s.

"Like countless fans, I have always loved the Hanna-Barbera cast of characters. As one of their most famous brand ambassadors, Scooby-Doo will take the lead in re-introducing this pantheon of enduringly popular animated stars on a grand scale with an exciting new movie," said Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production, Warner Bros.

The film is slated for September 21, 2018.

also read

How Mira Nair’s Queen of Katwe is bringing about change in its namesake slum
Show comments